Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aerate before or after pitching?  (Read 5820 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Aerate before or after pitching?
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:08:40 am »
Is it better to aerate before pitching, or after pitching?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Aerate before or after pitching?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:18:37 am »
It really doesn't matter so long as you aerate right before or right after.  I prefer before.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:22:36 am »
It really doesn't matter so long as you aerate right before or right after.  I prefer before.

Dave

+1.  I doubt that it matters. I've always aerated like crazy, then pitched. The lag time is "X" long regardless.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 08:24:38 am »
Best practice is before. There have been times I pitch the yeast and say, crap forgot the O2, then put the stone in and give it a shot. Doesn't seem to make much difference.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 08:27:30 am »
It hardly matters which way you do it, but actually usually do both.
And further,  when I do a double drop on certain brews (in the traditional British fashion), the beer inevitably gets aerated again when it's transferred on the 2nd or 3rd day.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:54:00 am »
Thanks, all -- I had a hunch that would be the response.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 08:56:52 am »
If you are using compressed, filtered air then it is probably best to do it before and after if you can. If you are using pure o2 you should not aerate after you pitch the yeast because pure o2 is toxic to yeast. I have actually killed starters with pure o2 by aerating after pitching.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:02:59 am »
If you are using compressed, filtered air then it is probably best to do it before and after if you can. If you are using pure o2 you should not aerate after you pitch the yeast because pure o2 is toxic to yeast. I have actually killed starters with pure o2 by aerating after pitching.

Up to tomorrow morning's brew my aeration method has been to whisk for 5 minutes with a 22" whisk. I just bought an aeration stone and wand (for filtered air, not o2, though I could upgrade easily). Thanks for the insight; I don't know if I will ever use o2, but if I do, I'll heed your advice.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:41:51 am »
Up to tomorrow morning's brew my aeration method has been to whisk for 5 minutes with a 22" whisk. I just bought an aeration stone and wand (for filtered air, not o2, though I could upgrade easily). Thanks for the insight; I don't know if I will ever use o2, but if I do, I'll heed your advice.

FWIW, I've not seen a huge difference between O2 and filtered air.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:44:25 am »
The big difference between compressed air and 02 is time. 1-2 minutes o2 is all you need as opposed to 20 minutes or so with regular air.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:49:37 am »
The big difference between compressed air and 02 is time. 1-2 minutes o2 is all you need as opposed to 20 minutes or so with regular air.

Right.  I just haven't seen any performance difference for the additional investment in the O2 regulator and the cost of the tanks.

Not a huge investment, but also one I could have just as easily not made and still been pretty much where I'm at fermentation-wise.  It is another gadget, though, which has some value in and of itself.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:55:27 am »
I'm starting to think I might like Belgian ales with filtered air better than pure o2. Pure o2 seems to leave less ester profile behind.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 11:06:58 am »
I'm starting to think I might like Belgian ales with filtered air better than pure o2. Pure o2 seems to leave less ester profile behind.

I have found this also.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 11:10:15 am »

Right.  I just haven't seen any performance difference for the additional investment in the O2 regulator and the cost of the tanks.

Not a huge investment, but also one I could have just as easily not made and still been pretty much where I'm at fermentation-wise.  It is another gadget, though, which has some value in and of itself.

Guilty as charged (in the move from whisk to aeration stone). If I can clamp the wand to the bucket, I can at least do other things.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 11:11:42 am »

+1.  The only time I use it anymore is for high OG beers (over 1.080).  I feels it helps there, but otherwise it sits in the garage. I use a mix-stir for most beers.
Jon H.