Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Manufacturer Preference  (Read 9747 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Keg Manufacturer Preference
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
I wish the 3 gallon kegs cost less. But they cost just as much, and more in some cases, than the 5 gallon kegs. It's crazy. I usually put in the comments of the order to make sure the posts can be removed before shipping.
Jesse

Offline Stevie

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 02:08:00 pm »

I wish the 3 gallon kegs cost less. But they cost just as much, and more in some cases, than the 5 gallon kegs. It's crazy. I usually put in the comments of the order to make sure the posts can be removed before shipping.

The difference in the amount of steel is minimal. I'm sure most of it is labor.  If there was a price difference, it would be very small due to materials and freight.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 06:33:46 pm »
Good call. I still get 5 gallon kegs since I never know if I'll want to jump to 5 gallon batches again someday. Right now I do 4 gallon batches. Just have the extra head space, not too big a deal.
Jesse

Offline ncbluesman

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 05:48:03 am »

I always assumed the higher cost of 3 gallon kegs was due to the lower economies of scale. They don't make as many, so the fixed costs of manufacturing them are shared by a smaller number of units.  Just a guess, though.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 06:39:54 am »

The difference in the amount of steel is minimal. I'm sure most of it is labor.  If there was a price difference, it would be very small due to materials and freight.
New 3 gal kegs cost less than 5 gallon kegs. Small difference in price. There is the same amount of parts, just a little less steel, the number of welds is the same. The labor would be almost identical.

In the used market the high cost for the 3 is due to the low number that were made. I have seen some large used cornies, 15 gallons, and the price on those was very high due to the rarity.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 08:50:09 am »
The 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs are gaining some traction on the homebrew scene with the corny style connections and even among commercial brewers for those with sanke connections so hopefully we'll start to see these prices come down.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21:06 am »
The 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs are gaining some traction on the homebrew scene with the corny style connections and even among commercial brewers for those with sanke connections so hopefully we'll start to see these prices come down.

I just bought four new 2.5 gallon kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing for 60 bucks a piece. Not a bad deal, IMO.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 11:33:14 am »
Chinese made? If so, report back on how you like them. I have been toying around with picking up two and building a self contained cooler jockey box.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 12:34:16 pm »
I think the 60 dollar ones on AIH are the all metal bottoms correct?  They look awesome but id be worried about how well the metal holds up to normal handling over time.

I wonder if you could coat the bottom in some sort of polymer, like that liquid truck bed lining stuff just to give it a little renewable durability.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 01:12:32 pm »
Chinese made? If so, report back on how you like them. I have been toying around with picking up two and building a self contained cooler jockey box.
I think the 60 dollar ones on AIH are the all metal bottoms correct?  They look awesome but id be worried about how well the metal holds up to normal handling over time.

I wonder if you could coat the bottom in some sort of polymer, like that liquid truck bed lining stuff just to give it a little renewable durability.

They're my first kegs, so I don't have a lot to compare to. They seem solid, but not indestructible. They will stack, but not with disconnects attached. I had to tighten a post on one of them, but otherwise no leaks as far as I can see. I like the low profile because I only have a small (5.1 gallon) chest freezer and fit four (two tapped) plus a CO2 tank without modifications.

The powder-coat idea sounds interesting. It might be worthwhile if they get banged around a lot. I forsee them getting dinged easily, but could withstand a little abuse. The ring that the dip tube sits over seems solid, and that's the only place I'd be worried about dinging up.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 02:33:24 pm »
By the way, these are on sale now for $82.95.  I prefer the kegs with rubber tops, but I might pick one of these up.

https://bvrgelements.com/product/NEW-5-Gallon-Keg-Ball-Lock/
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 07:48:33 pm »
By the way, these are on sale now for $82.95.  I prefer the kegs with rubber tops, but I might pick one of these up.

I own 3 and 5-gallon AEB kegs with the strap handle.  I will never go back to rubber handles.  It is much easier to attach the gas and liquid lines on the strap handle kegs in tight spaces.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 10:06:18 pm »

I own 3 and 5-gallon AEB kegs with the strap handle.  I will never go back to rubber handles.  It is much easier to attach the gas and liquid lines on the strap handle kegs in tight spaces.

I hadn't considered that, but it might be useful since I have a front loading kegerator.  The thing I like about the rubber handle kegs is that I can stand them upside down in the sink to dry.

I think these are hard to beat at $83 though.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 10:40:59 am »
I think these are hard to beat at $83 though.

The Class 2 ones are even cheaper.  I think they're just dinged up, but I haven't bought any.

This thread, however, has made me go and buy 4 3-gallon pin locks from AIH.  I don't REALLY need more kegs, but all of mine are in various stages of full.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »

There are some good prices for 4 3-gallon pin locks here:
http://www.homebrewing.org/FOUR-3-Gallon-Cornelius-Style-Pin-Lock-Used-Kegs-_p_4673.html

Also, I'm looking to grab these 4 pin locks (http://www.homebrewing.org/Set-of-Four-5-Gallon-Pin-Lock-Kegs-Used_p_3179.html) to separate out my typical beers in my ball locks from sours in my pin locks. But if you're just looking to get the cheaper kegs, this cannot steer you wrong.
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"