Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Manufacturer Preference  (Read 9787 times)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Keg Manufacturer Preference
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 02:11:11 pm »
I wish the 3 gallon kegs cost less. But they cost just as much, and more in some cases, than the 5 gallon kegs. It's crazy. I usually put in the comments of the order to make sure the posts can be removed before shipping.

There are some good prices for 4 3-gallon pin locks here:
http://www.homebrewing.org/FOUR-3-Gallon-Cornelius-Style-Pin-Lock-Used-Kegs-_p_4673.html

Also, I'm looking to grab these 4 pin locks (http://www.homebrewing.org/Set-of-Four-5-Gallon-Pin-Lock-Kegs-Used_p_3179.html) to separate out my typical beers in my ball locks from sours in my pin locks. But if you're just looking to get the cheaper kegs, this cannot steer you wrong.

Somehow Jason at AiH keeps finding kegs. I am resisting temptation on the 3 gallon pin locks, well so far.

A while back I bought some from the front of the store that had lose handles or feet. For $29 each I picked up 2. That brought me up to 32 5 gallon kegs and 2 3 gallon, all ball lock.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline sambates

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 02:34:33 pm »
I wish the 3 gallon kegs cost less. But they cost just as much, and more in some cases, than the 5 gallon kegs. It's crazy. I usually put in the comments of the order to make sure the posts can be removed before shipping.

http://www.homebrewing.org/FOUR-3-Gallon-Cornelius-Style-Pin-Lock-Used-Kegs-_p_4673.html

Also, I'm looking to grab these 4 pin locks (http://www.homebrewing.org/Set-of-Four-5-Gallon-Pin-Lock-Kegs-Used_p_3179.html) to separate out my typical beers in my ball locks from sours in my pin locks. But if you're just looking to get the cheaper kegs, this cannot steer you wrong.

Somehow Jason at AiH keeps finding kegs. I am resisting temptation on the 3 gallon pin locks, well so far.

A while back I bought some from the front of the store that had lose handles or feet. For $29 each I picked up 2. That brought me up to 32 5 gallon kegs and 2 3 gallon, all ball lock.

Wow...I need to get on your level. Still rocking 8 5gal Ball lock cornies, but it works for what I have!
Tap: Brandy Barrel Sour, Brett IPA, Tart Cherry Berliner, Sour Coffee Porter, Witbier, Helles Bock, Helles Bock Braggot, Strawberry "Nebraskambic," Raspberry Flanders
Secondary: OatRye Blonde, Plout Sour, Blueberry Ginger Sour
Primary:Belgian Dark Strong, Scottish Wee Heavy, American Session Wild Ale, Brandy Barrel "Lincolnambic"

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 02:51:06 pm »

Wow...I need to get on your level. Still rocking 8 5gal Ball lock cornies, but it works for what I have!

Yes.  32 is impressive.  I could not resist the 4 pin locks, but will need to find space for them.  My cellar is a disaster.  If I get more kegs I will have to stack them.  But for $29 each, I would definitely get more kegs.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »
I just bought 2 of the low profile kegs from Adventures in Homebrewing. They were a good deal, but I had to replace the posts on one of them as they were looking pretty beat up and almost rusty. Otherwise, they make great fermenters.
Jesse

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 03:09:58 pm »

More than half of those get ties up with lagers. Add in some ciders and big beers for longer aging, and soon you find that you need to manage the ones that are available for everyday beers. The 3 gallon kegs come in handy for a beer that is half gone, but I want to keep for a while.

I know some with more kegs than I have.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 07:53:26 am »
I have three new kegs (all came with my Beer Meister).  One is made by AEB in Italy and the other two are made by American Cylinders in India.  I just got started kegging, but so far, the AEB keg was great.  I was just getting one of the American Cylinders ones ready for a batch this weekend and while they are heavier and therefore feel more solid, I needed a rubber mallet to get the disconnects to lock in place.  Once I got them on, repeating the process became easier (I can push down hard, rotate them a little and push down on the locking ring of the disconnect).  I'm hoping that these aren't going to be a problem...

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 08:19:45 am »
I have three new kegs (all came with my Beer Meister).  One is made by AEB in Italy and the other two are made by American Cylinders in India.  I just got started kegging, but so far, the AEB keg was great.  I was just getting one of the American Cylinders ones ready for a batch this weekend and while they are heavier and therefore feel more solid, I needed a rubber mallet to get the disconnects to lock in place.  Once I got them on, repeating the process became easier (I can push down hard, rotate them a little and push down on the locking ring of the disconnect).  I'm hoping that these aren't going to be a problem...

Try a bit of keg lube - make it a LOT easier.

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 06:22:34 pm »
I did put keg lube on. It helped a little, but not a lot. I'm not sure if the posts aren't made to the same precision or what. I also had pressurized these a while back and I just found that the other Indian-made keg isn't holding pressure, so I don't really have much favorable feedback on them. I'm not particularly enthused about having to chase a leak on a new keg.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 07:05:32 pm »
I have been using my two Chinese kegs for several months with absolutely no issues. I am tempted to buy two of the Indian kegs from Beverage Elements for $180 after shipping, but not if I am going to curse them everytime I try to apply my disconnects to them.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS