Author Topic: Fundraiser Question  (Read 3150 times)

Offline albionwood

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Re: Fundraiser Question
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
The new California law is pretty straightforward and might be a model for other States to adopt.  It basically says, you can donate homebrew to a nonprofit and they can sell it at fundraisers (as long as they have a serving license), full stop.  It specifically says you CANNOT sell it as a benefit for your homebrew club (i.e. you can't get around the permitting laws just by calling your brewery a club!).

This is one of the primary reasons why I'm interested in starting a homebrewing club here.  Many local nonprofits would be happy to serve homebrew at their functions.

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
If you're primarily interested in rasing funds for your club, there's other options. We recently partnered with a local brewery who supports our efforts to do a brewing demo and raffle during their Saturday tour and tasting. Folks had already paid them for entry and were tasting their beers, so we had no conflicts as we weren't serving any homebrew.

We did two all grain demos simultaneously during the three hour period they were open for the tour/tasting, with great interest from folks. We ended up signing up about five new members, which was an added bonus. We had applications and business cards on the raffle table, and will probably get additional members as a result of that as well.

As far as the raffle, we solicited local pubs for gift cards, t-shirts, empty growlers and other swag. The club donated a set of five pint glasses from local breweries, and a commercial seasonal ale assortment. Our local  homebrew shop donated an extract kit, and a starter equipment kit as two items as well. The brewery donated a gift basket full of swag and beer, and the grand prize of a private party for twenty-five at the brewery. As I said, they actively support us as they started as homebrewers and are still dues-paying members of the club.

Tickets were $5 for 1, $8 for 2, 12$ for 3, etc. Lots of folks would buy two and let us keep the change from a ten dollar bill. When all was said and done we had raised $1000 for the club in one afternoon and exposed a lot of craft beer drinkers to our club and the joys of homebrewing. We'll probably start doing this twice a year.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline alestateyall

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Actually, we recently got invited to do a joint tasting with a brewery as a fund raiser. That should help us a lot.
Tommy M.
Starkville, MS

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 11:53:55 AM »
Excellent, please report back with details on how it's structured and how it went.
I'm only here for the beer....

cornershot

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
Actually, we recently got invited to do a joint tasting with a brewery as a fund raiser. That should help us a lot.
Seems like Colorado has all the fun these days.

Offline Bruce B

• Assistant Brewer
  • Overcome, Improvise, Adapt.
    • View Profile
    • Bruce's Brewing Adventures
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
That's awesome!  The homebrew will add some character to the event and the brewery won't have to supply all of the beer.  Win-win!  Just be prepared in case your beer is better than the breweries.  That happened at a fest I was pouring at a couple of years ago.  We had a Watermelon Wheat that people were lined up to get.  The brewery next to us also had a Watermelon Wheat but had very few takers.   ::)
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - http://www.beerbarons.org
Coordinator - Midwinter and Schnapp Hans Cup Competitions
BJCP National & Mead Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »

Yeah, they get to do a joint tasting...what?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »

Yeah, they get to do a joint tasting...what?

he he
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline alestateyall

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Fundraiser Question
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »

Colorado is awesome but my post is about Mississippi. You know, the most progressive state in the south.

Actually I had nothing to do with setting this up. Other folks from the club have done this. But as I know more I will report back.

PS. If I never post again it's because I was shot for using the words progressive and Mississippi in the same sentence.
Tommy M.
Starkville, MS

Offline phunhog

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
The new California law is pretty straightforward and might be a model for other States to adopt.  It basically says, you can donate homebrew to a nonprofit and they can sell it at fundraisers (as long as they have a serving license), full stop.  It specifically says you CANNOT sell it as a benefit for your homebrew club (i.e. you can't get around the permitting laws just by calling your brewery a club!).

This is one of the primary reasons why I'm interested in starting a homebrewing club here.  Many local nonprofits would be happy to serve homebrew at their functions.

As an update there is currently legislation to change the law so that the non profit CAN be a brewing related charity.  This is being done so that AHA can have the NHC in CA.  But I do wonder if then a legally recognized non-profit homebrewing club (501c3) COULD have events where they sell their beer and all profits go back to the club.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
As an update there is currently legislation to change the law so that the non profit CAN be a brewing related charity.  This is being done so that AHA can have the NHC in CA.  But I do wonder if then a legally recognized non-profit homebrewing club (501c3) COULD have events where they sell their beer and all profits go back to the club.
Maybe, but I'm in a non-brewing related (plenty of drinking though) that is a 501(c)3 and the IRS is VERY particular about what we do with the money we raise.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline phunhog

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
Maybe, but I'm in a non-brewing related (plenty of drinking though) that is a 501(c)3 and the IRS is VERY particular about what we do with the money we raise.
I bet they are!  If this new law passes in CA I am seriously thinking about starting some sort of non profit homebrewing club/collective.  The "club" could then hold fundraising beer festivals 2x year and would be able to keep the profits.  The caveat is that only "members" can attend but anyone can become a club member.

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
Yeah, I would imagine if you do that, you'll have the ABC looking very particular at your doings particularly since this is part of the bill:

23356.2.d.5 Only bona fide members of the nonprofit organization may attend the event.

That gives the ABC a lot of room when they issue the license to tell you to go spit.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline phunhog

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
Yeah, I would imagine if you do that, you'll have the ABC looking very particular at your doings particularly since this is part of the bill:

23356.2.d.5 Only bona fide members of the nonprofit organization may attend the event.

That gives the ABC a lot of room when they issue the license to tell you to go spit.

The whole "bona fide member" thing is up for interpretation.  Look at the California Homebrewers Assoc....there sole purpose is really to put on two homebrewing festivals a year.  Anyone can pay ten dollars and become a member.  I know of lots of people who go to the Southern CA Homebrewers Festival who don't brew and just see it as a good party.  It wouldn't be hard to start a  non-profit that focuses on homebrewing education and beer appreciation.  You could then charge a small annual membership fee (5 dollars) and host your own festival 2x a year.  Plus I don't know if the ABC can really deny a one day license to a non-profit that meets all the legal requirements. 

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 07:54:33 AM »
One fest - they only do the SoCal fest. NCHF is put on by a whole other group.

And the one fest wasn't always the case with them, they also used to do talks, etc. But leaving it at the one fest was what I think ultimately made them vulnerable to the ABC. Now they offer discounts and are starting to gear up for more events.

And never doubt that a negative enforcement agency like the ABC, if given room, can squash your license because your hair offends the field agent or something equally silly. (This is often one of the most frustrating things about the ABC or building inspections - how the rules are interpreted all depend on who's the one doing the interp. Take for example the ability of folks in NorCal to have a commercial festival with homebrew pouring at it. We tried to get that cleared down here only to get shut down by our local office. 
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison