Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aerate before or after pitching?  (Read 5818 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Aerate before or after pitching?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 11:29:38 am »
I typically use O2 for lagers and really big beers and the mix-stir for everything else.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 12:18:17 pm »
You guys are missing the obvious.  If you aerate before, the yeast settle into a nice happy home ready to go.  If you aerate after, the yeast swirl around, getting bruised and dizzy.

Which yeast scenario do you think makes for happy yeast?  They are living beings after all!   8) 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 12:21:06 pm »
I'm starting to think I might like Belgian ales with filtered air better than pure o2. Pure o2 seems to leave less ester profile behind.

I have found this also.

I may have to give this a whirl.  Just did 10 gallons of a Chimay-ish dubbel that seems to have less Belgian character than I would like.  I've been attributing that to the cool fermentation temps (peaked at about 66) but I also aerate with O2, so maybe it's a one-two punch.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »
You guys are missing the obvious.  If you aerate before, the yeast settle into a nice happy home ready to go.  If you aerate after, the yeast swirl around, getting bruised and dizzy.

Which yeast scenario do you think makes for happy yeast?  They are living beings after all!   8)

Quite honestly, I know this may sound silly, but I actually wondered about the second scenario (not that the yeast would get "dizzy" but that the yeast's blooming might be affected by the turbulence of the aerating wort).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »
If anything I think blowing the yeast around would help get them active, not the other way around. Just don't use pure o2 to do it. ;)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 03:18:47 am »
I was recently looking at the Safale website, trying to decide it I wanted to bother rehydrating some dry yeast.
They recommended that if you don't rehydrate that you should sprinkle the yeast on top, wait 20 minutes and then aerate.
Dan S. from NJ