Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Universal poppet valves  (Read 2765 times)

Offline benamcg

• Cellarman
Universal poppet valves
« on: December 23, 2013, 04:34:08 pm »
Last year I replaced a couple of poppets on the gas side posts of 2 kegs.  Since I was unsure of the keg type I went with some universal valves.  They seal nicely, but don't allow the gas connect to click or sit on the poppet (i.e. you have to press down to carb the keg). It wasn't a huge problem, but more difficult when initially trying to carb the new keg.

After 8-10 months I have now noticed that the gas connects will now click into place.  What is happening?  Were they installed improperly or just needed breaking in?

-Ben

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Universal poppet valves
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:06:24 pm »
Probably just getting broken in. I tried the universals as well but my issue was they were just too big and my QDs wouldn't even clamp down and once they did they were so compressed the beer not gas would even flow!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:46:41 am »
I've read that the universal poppits are just a little bit too long for most kegs; they apparently restrict the flow on the liquid side. Some guys cut them down to fit. I don't have first hand experience with them, so I can't say for sure what's causing it. But if they work now, then that's good, right?
Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 08:52:57 am »
I've been using them to replace leaky gas-side poppets.  I do have a few kegs where the gas is hard to connect, but I hadn't previously linked that to the new poppets.

I also replaced one leaky liquid poppet.  I don't think I've tapped that keg again, but it's not leaking anymore.

I've been generally happy with the universals, but I suppose time will tell.  I've got enough kegs that I'm not sure which have the universals.  And I'm kind of tired of stocking 3 different types of poppets.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:48:52 am »
The universals I have are pretty tall, so on some of my kegs, it's tough to push the disconnect on. Trimming a coil or two off the spring is an easy fix.
Mark Gres

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
The universals I have are pretty tall, so on some of my kegs, it's tough to push the disconnect on. Trimming a coil or two off the spring is an easy fix.
This is exactly what I've read about them. How do you trim them? Dremel?
Jesse

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 03:09:09 pm »
This is exactly what I've read about them. How do you trim them? Dremel?
Diagonal cutting pliers. But I bet a Dremel would be just as easy.
Mark Gres

Offline normau

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 01:04:28 pm »
I had this same problem with the ball lock QDs on the beer post. It has a universal poppet in it. I took the long beer spout out of the hole and then put the post back on the keg. Without the spout in it there was then a cm or two of extra space for the spring that alleviated some of the tension. When I put the QD on it went on with much ease. Ive concluded that snipping a coil or two from the spring will fix my connection problem.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk