Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Harvested Yeast Question  (Read 6055 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Harvested Yeast Question
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 09:44:33 am »
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/984

Give this a listen. According to Palmer, a thin layer of white on top of washed yeast is yeast hulls. The healthy yeast is between that and trub at the bottom.

Thanks Jim!  Good link.  So according to Jamil, he decants the real light layer of yeast hulls and proteins before pitching.  So I have quite a bit of good yeast it looks like.  I'll probably split it up to smaller aliquots for future batches.
Trey W.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 09:58:16 am »
No problem.

In my opinion it all depends on what you want to do. You could harvest one cake, then make several starters from it, so long as you go through it relatively quickly. But I just harvest and repitch, harvest and repitch. I think I can do that about 20 times with my system and sanitation without ill effects. But I usually repitch about 4 times, get bored and change styles. Though I've really fallen in love with my 1728 and 2112 so they may stick around.

I have been running 1728 in a mild and an IPA. I repitch the mild to both and toss the IPA. Keeps the dry hop pellets out of the next batch.

I think my methods are sound for my way. I'm certain it could be far more technical. I'm just avoiding gross deviations from good basic yeast handling. I use fresh yeast, not overpitched, not underpitched. But I'm not OCD about it either.

Have fun

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:52 am »
How much of a lag should I expect for one week old harvested yeast that was pitched without making a starter?  Usually I'll see blow off within 12-18 hrs when I make a starter. It's been about 16 hrs and I pitched with the yeast and the wort around 68-70 F.  BTW mrmalty said I needed about 300 ml of slurry for my 12 gal (adjusted for various reasons) batch so I pitched about 175 ml in each 6 gal carboy.
Trey W.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 02:07:06 pm »
How much of a lag should I expect for one week old harvested yeast that was pitched without making a starter?  Usually I'll see blow off within 12-18 hrs when I make a starter. It's been about 16 hrs and I pitched with the yeast and the wort around 68-70 F.  BTW mrmalty said I needed about 300 ml of slurry for my 12 gal (adjusted for various reasons) batch so I pitched about 175 ml in each 6 gal carboy.

16 hours is nothing to worry about. Next time I world pitch a bit cooler though, like around 64 or lower. When those yeast take off the temp us going to jump right at the wrong time for off flavor development. Give it some time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 06:23:07 am »

16 hours is nothing to worry about. Next time I world pitch a bit cooler though, like around 64 or lower. When those yeast take off the temp us going to jump right at the wrong time for off flavor development. Give it some time.

Thanks Mort. I'm in Florida and this is the first winter I've used my plate chiller so the pitching temp fluctuated between 62-76 F as we tried to get things dialed in. The fermentation chamber is about 62 F which may be the reason for the slow start. White Labs suggests 68-72 F until fermentation begins so since this was harvested white labs I just stuck with the same guidelines.

Btw, nice kraeusen at 36 hrs with fermentation fridge at about 62 F.
Trey W.