Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 13963 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »
I just leave mine in primary until it tastes right. No debate thee. ;)
This is my take on it. Brewers sample often out of a conical.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »
All at 55°. The mild usually finishes in about 18-20 days, and the other two by 28 days.

If that's the time it takes reach FG, then I'd say you have some sort of problem. Under-pitching, or pitching/fermenting too cool, or maybe inconsistent temperature, or some sort of nutrient deficiency… something though. 55°F is *really* cold to expect most ale yeasts to attenuate properly, so it could be that simple. I think a good rule of thumb is that ales should attenuate around 2°P/day, lagers half that. So a 5% ABV ale should reach FG in less than five days; even a two-week turnaround leaves plenty of time for maturation, crashing, fining, etc.

As far as fermenters per bright, it varies wildly. A brewpub might well have more brights (used as serving tanks) than fermenters, but a production brewery that filters and packages three batches a day would need 54 times the bright volume in fermentation just to keep up, assuming an average turnaround of 18 days.

I don't mind the wait and that mild is phenomenal. Was about 1.036 finished 1.008. I value the input, but I'm not changing that one.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 07:38:59 am »
If it aint broke, don't fix it!