Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling sugar question  (Read 3239 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Bottling sugar question
« on: December 26, 2013, 05:53:56 pm »
I just brewed this kit, and I'm curious if the honey is the best bet for bottling sugar. Previously, I've used corn sugar for extract kits, this calls for 3 Tbs of honey + 1/2 cup water for the gallon batch.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/Brooklyn_Brew_Shop_Everyday_IPA_Instructions.pdf
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:18:37 pm by flbrewer »

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Bottling sugar question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »
I have always just used table sugar.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »
I have always just used table sugar.

+1 - Northern Brewer's priming calculator is great for this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:40:44 am »
Plain ole' table sugar? I'm guessing the method of priming sugar won't affect taste?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 07:49:03 am »
Plain ole' table sugar? I'm guessing the method of priming sugar won't affect taste?

Most of the time I would agree that plain old table sugar is just fine for priming. However I have found that with very delicate flavored sugars like honey or maple syrup in the recipe using the same sugar to prime gives the honey or maple a bit of a boost. This is based purely on my own un scientific impressions but it's also only a tablespoon of honey. If it were me I would get me some of that delicious tupelo honey they make down there and use that. But I'm sure it will be fine with plain sugar too.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:04:38 am »

I'm pretty certain it's too small an amount to make an impact.  Now if it doesn't carbonate you will notice the sweetness but no human could tell whether it came from cane, corn or honey.  Ok, maybe with one of those really distinctive honeys.

However I'm in accord with Mort that priming with a sugar source that connects to your recipe is cool, even sublime.  Coconut sugar for a coconut porter anyone?
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:47:13 am »

Most of the time I would agree that plain old table sugar is just fine for priming. However I have found that with very delicate flavored sugars like honey or maple syrup in the recipe using the same sugar to prime gives the honey or maple a bit of a boost. This is based purely on my own un scientific impressions but it's also only a tablespoon of honey. If it were me I would get me some of that delicious tupelo honey they make down there and use that. But I'm sure it will be fine with plain sugar too.

+1 Using honey for priming is a great way to boost honey flavor/aroma. Same with maple syrup.

Basic Brewing did an experiment with several different types of priming sugar. Definitely a fun and interesting way to put a unique twist on your brew:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2010
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/