Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One of my favorite things on brewday.  (Read 7776 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Re: One of my favorite things on brewday.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 11:28:43 am »
I also love waking up at 2 am and staggering into the brewlab ( guest bathroom ), and seeing those first bubbles starting from the blowoff tube.
My wife loves doughing in, says it smells like grape nuts.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 11:35:22 am »
I will definately be trying the hot scotchie next brewday...wish I knew about it yesterday.  Cheers.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »
One of my favorite things on brew day is having a hot scotchy (although I usually use bourbon):

http://beervana.blogspot.com/2010/11/greatest-beverage-in-world-hot-scotchy.html

I normally hold off any drinking until the beer is in the fermenter, but I do make an exception for this.  If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it - it is especially memorable with the first runnings of a big barleywine.

This might be the most important thing I have learned all year. Thank you for that. Will try it next brew session.

This is truly inspirational. Just when you were wondering how brewing could get any better. BAM!
I'll be trying the bourbon varietal. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:35:13 pm by Pinski »
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 12:41:45 pm »
I love pitching a big starter.  Pouring in all those healthy hungry yeast cells feels so good.  It's just a great fruition of a long, good brewday.
Does anyone else detect a certain innuendo in this? ;)

Certainly a strong fertility reference.  Ninkasi would be proud.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline Mike V. Sardina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 03:10:19 pm »
I have always loved the process of brewing. Love being up at the crack of dawn on a crisp morning just as the sun is coming up over the mountains with a cup of coffee in my hand and the roar of the burner heating up my strike water. I love the smell of the wort as it comes to a boil and especially after the first hop addition.

So very true, there is nothing like firing up the burner to heat the strike water.  Always brings a smile to my face...

Cheers!

Mike
Mike V. Sardina

mike@societebrewing.com

2014 AHA Governing Committee Candidate

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »
I love the whole process, but now that I am doing AG, the boil will be that much better with a hot scotchy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

cornershot

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 10:27:25 pm »
+1 to the hot Scotchy. But any whiskey will work just fine. First time I had a hot scotchy I invited a dozen or so friends over to hang out with me in my garage, eat chili, and drink my beer. We went through over a half gallon of first runnings making hot scotchies. Needless to say, I missed my OG but it was well worth it. I don't remember what I brewed but everyone remembers hot scotchies!
I truly love every phase of the brewing process, from research and recipe formulation to the finished product and everything in between. I think if I wrote down everything I liked about brewing it might fill a book! I think I'll have a homebrew.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

fistfullofhops

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 09:09:55 am »
This is my favorite moment from yesterday's sessions. I was aiming for a mash temp of 150*F

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 09:35:52 am »
One of my favorite things on brew day is having a hot scotchy (although I usually use bourbon):

http://beervana.blogspot.com/2010/11/greatest-beverage-in-world-hot-scotchy.html

I normally hold off any drinking until the beer is in the fermenter, but I do make an exception for this.  If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it - it is especially memorable with the first runnings of a big barleywine.

This might be the most important thing I have learned all year. Thank you for that. Will try it next brew session.

This is truly inspirational. Just when you were wondering how brewing could get any better. BAM!

I have no Scotch but plenty of Bourbon. Must try.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 09:59:55 am »
I love the way the whole house smells like beer when I brew inside.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 10:41:50 am »

It's Hot Scotchy Day! Any recommendations on ratios? Keep in mind I'm brewing today! ;)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 10:46:39 am »

It's Hot Scotchy Day! Any recommendations on ratios? Keep in mind I'm brewing today! ;)

Add it until the malt flavor shines, or whenever !  BTW, did you try the Balvenie yet ?
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 11:01:22 am »
Add it until the malt flavor shines, or whenever !  BTW, did you try the Balvenie yet ?

Fantastic recommendation my friend! Just what I was hoping for, a bridge from bourbon to scotch! As you said complex, i got hints of vanilla and the judicious use of peat I found surprisingly pleasant. I cant wait to try the hot scotchy here in about 45 minutes. Thanks again!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 11:23:17 am »

Fantastic recommendation my friend! Just what I was hoping for, a bridge from bourbon to scotch! As you said complex, i got hints of vanilla and the judicious use of peat I found surprisingly pleasant. I cant wait to try the hot scotchy here in about 45 minutes. Thanks again!

Awesome !  Glad you liked it.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 01:39:37 pm »

balvenie Caribbean cask..one of my fav's :P
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale