Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Year goals?  (Read 5878 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
New Year goals?
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:27:44 am »
I'm a goals oriented person so the new year always presents itself to me as an opportunity to set up coming goals and review past accomplishments.

My brewing goal this year is to get a bottling or canning line in full operation by mid summer at Yellowhammer. We also have a production goal to meet this year that about doubles last years.

My personal goal is to lose 15 lbs and get back into shape again. I also want to spend more time with my family and get back out on the backpacking trail more often.

The day I turned 40 I went out for a 6 mile run and afterward hiked to the top of the mountain behind my house for some thoughtful meditation. I turn 45 this year and want be be in good enough shape to repeat that experience.

Anyone else want to share their goals and resolutions?

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: New Year goals?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:41:10 am »
Got a physical this month and found out my chlorestoral, sp. is a little high so am going to try to get it down. Since I quit working last July I've gotten pretty lax in my exercise and am sure that has something to do with it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:57:13 am »
 I turn 47 in ~ 3 weeks and would also like to trim down a bit. I've always lifted weights regularly, a habit developed from playing football in high school. But we all know the gut gets tougher to keep off the older you get. So I've gotta cut back at the table, plain and simple.
 As for brewing, we're close to getting a new kitchen fridge which means I can move the existing one to the garage to replace my burned out lagering fridge. So I want to get back to making lagers - I miss having BoPils,Helles, and Dort around, to name a few.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:14:43 am »
I'm looking at dropping about ten pounds before next summer. I've been pretty lax (for me) about my diet this year so it's time to get more diligent. I'd also like to make some money this year. That would be a nice change of pace from not making money my first several months in business.

I also want to brew more beer this year and get more involved with the local club. Every year I try to improve the quality of my beer over the last year and next year will be no exception.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:23:33 am »
This year, my New Years resolution is 2560x1600.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:06:47 am »
Lose weight and become a BJCP judge...although they seem like they are in conflict with each other since I'll have to do a lot of beer tasting to study  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:15:07 am »
Drop a butt load of weight.
Brew better beer
More time on my bike. I somehow managed to only put about 3,000 miles on in 2013... not good for the soul.
Build greenhouse for the bride
List goes on

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
Well, I am moving into a new house about as soon as the year begins, and haven't brewed a batch in 6 months...

Retrofit Garage for Brewing
Retrofit Crawlspace for fermenting/lagering/barrel-aging?
Make at least 100g of beer
Become a BJCP judge
Get a medal in a competition
Get a bike, and start racking up miles
Get back down to about 160

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 10:24:23 am »
My brewing goal is to start our neighborhood brew club and see if we can get more neighbors involved.   

Personal goals would be to just spend as much time with family as possible.  My daughter is 4 now and I just want to soak up as much time with her as possible, even if it means brewing less.

Last year I met my goal and ran my first 1/2 marathon.    Next year my goal is to run a triathlon along with another 1/2 marathon.  Eventually I want to run a full marathon, but I'm not sure if I will squeeze that in next year.  I used to do a lot of mountain biking and really enjoy it, but I didn't go once last year, so I'm intent on getting back to riding some of these great Colorado trails in 2014. 

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:28:07 am »
Obtain all of the funding required to open up our brewery in planning!

We're off to a good start and need to keep on truckin' to the finish line for a Q3 2014 Grand Opening. 8)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 11:06:14 am »

We're off to a good start and need to keep on truckin' to the finish line for a Q3 2014 Grand Opening. 8)

That's cute. You're just like every other brewery who thinks they'll open on time. ;)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 11:13:27 am »
Drop a butt load of weight.
Brew better beer
More time on my bike. I somehow managed to only put about 3,000 miles on in 2013... not good for the soul.
Build greenhouse for the bride
List goes on
+1 on the bike. I got about 7k last year and now I'm retired I hope to get more than that this next year. Also looking at a new bike. 2014 street glide.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 11:42:30 am »

Ron,  do you have a kickstarter campaign going?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »
Create a DSLR time-lapse volcano video that I like enough to post on Vimeo.

The weight thing is easy.  I ride my bike and swim every day.
I caught the biggest wave of my life last Friday.  My friends say it had a 30'+ face.  It looked like 100' when I made my first bottom turn.  I would have s*** myself, but I was too busy keeping from being buried under a million tons of water.  It didn't look that big until I committed myself to catching the wave.  Everything after that was just staying alive.  That was the most alive I've felt since I was a kid.  Been surfing 46 years.  That was awesome! 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 01:18:27 pm »

That's cute. You're just like every other brewery who thinks they'll open on time. ;)

The power of positive thinking is hard at work!  ;)
Ron Price