Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer EPA 1040  (Read 1961 times)

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
Northern Brewer EPA 1040
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:01:21 am »
I've brewed this one a couple of times and I have to say it is a really solid and easy recipe. Definitely worth getting if you like EPA's. Here is some info on it.

So that brings me to an extract Northern Brewer Pale Ale kit that I brewed up a couple months ago. I’ve done this recipe twice and the only difference between the first and second was that I reused the yeast from the first to the second. Pitched right on top of the old cake. Anyway, this brew passed BJCP judging with a 27, which is good, and I thought I’d share it with you as extra pale ales are some of my favorites.

Review of Northern Brewer Extra Pale Ale 1040

Brewing Notes

Specialty Grain

1 lbs Dingeman’s Caramel Pils
Fermentables

6 lbs Gold LME
Hops

2 oz Cascade (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (1 min)
Yeast

Used Yeast Cake (WYeast 1056 American Ale)
Notes

O.G. 1.042 | F.G.: 1.012 | ABV: 4.0%

Brewed: 3/14/10
Racked:
Bottled: 4/11/10

Appearance

A deep golden color that is surprisingly spot on for an extract kit. It’s clear even though I didn’t use a secondary, so there is no yeast floating around in there. The head is a coarse, bubbly white, but doesn’t stick around very long.

Smell

A definite cascade aroma. Floral and citrus, but the malt breaks through and entices my tongue. And that is really what this simple beer is comprised of. Tons of malt.

Taste

A decent mixture of malt and bitterness that I think has balanced a little better with age.  It is heavier on the malt side, and I agree with the judges on that. It does taste pretty good though.

Mouthfeel

Even with some extra aging it still is low on carbonation which gives it a bit of a flat feel. At first my tongue tingles but its just the hop acids attacking my taste buds, not fizzle from the bubbles. It is very smooth and has a medium body to it that feels a little bit like a mouthful.

Drinkability

For me, it’s high. I love EPA and for me this one rivals and Summit EPA. If you’ve had the Summit EPA it is better balanced than this beer, but this brew definitely reminds me of it. It’s not over whelming one way or the other and I can definitely drink a few of these.

Overall

This kit and recipe are good. It wasn’t hard to brew and it turned out solid both times I made it. I didn’t see much difference between the first batch to the second batch reusing the yeast other than it saved me $7.  So if your looking for a good Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit, Northern Brewer’s 1040 is pretty good.

How bout you?

Have you brewed this one up? What were your results like?

Offline vista

• Assistant Brewer
  • Orange, CT
Re: Northern Brewer EPA 1040
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 06:49:15 pm »
nice little review right here. i can't comment to NB's EPA but i've brewed a few of their kit recipes and they come out great everytime. a couple tweaks here and there but overall they make for easy to make and drinkable beverages.
Take it easy...