Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mills  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Grain Mills
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 05:16:43 pm »
I played with gap adjustment on my barley crusher the first year I had it.  I went as tight as .028 at which point every sparge was a stuck sparge.  8^)  I open it back up to .032 and have not moved it since.  My mill works great.  right now it needs a good clean and lube but the gap is rock solid.

Like someone else said most mill owners like the mill they have and often recommend them to others.  My BC works like a champ.  I motorized it with very little effort and get great results.

Good luck with your search!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 06:59:37 am »
Yet another +1 for the Barley Crusher. Mine's going on 18 months with no problems and no re-adjustments - just checked it about a month ago and it's still at 0.039 on both ends - just like when it was new.

Thinking of motorizing it soon -

...I motorized it with very little effort and get great results.

Paul - what motor did you use, and where did you get it? $$?
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 07:35:47 am »
Yet another +1 for the Barley Crusher. Mine's going on 18 months with no problems and no re-adjustments - just checked it about a month ago and it's still at 0.039 on both ends - just like when it was new.

I actually got my motor for free.  We were cleaning out my Mom's house and found a brand new 1/2HP, 1750RPM motor with a side plate, flat mounting bracket. 

I would post a picture of my mill but none of the formatting buttons are working for me right now. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 07:53:02 am »

I actually got my motor for free.  We were cleaning out my Mom's house and found a brand new 1/2HP, 1750RPM motor with a side plate, flat mounting bracket. 

I would post a picture of my mill but none of the formatting buttons are working for me right now. 

Paul

Found the fix for the buttons not working in the "Questions about the forum" section.  Thanks guys!!

Now to figure out where the "Edit" button went.

Anyway, here's the picture.

Paul

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 08:10:02 am »
Lots of previous threads on grain mills. Just run a quick search.

The wife just bought me a JSP, but its not adjustable. Not sure how I feel about the fixed gap, but it would be a PITA to return...
15 yrs with my fixed gap JSP.  No issues.  80-85% effiency. 

Motorize that puppy ASAP
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 09:37:37 am »

Paul

Found the fix for the buttons not working in the "Questions about the forum" section.  Thanks guys!!

Now to figure out where the "Edit" button went.

Anyway, here's the picture.

Paul

Very nice cart! After I set my in-line oxygen this weekend I'm going to start on a design for a grain mill cart.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 10:19:21 pm »
I researched mills quite a bit before buying one earlier this year. I was heavily considering the Barley Crusher, but decided on a Monster Mill MM2.  It seems to be made a bit better, though the Barley Crusher will likely work fine. For what it's worth, Fred, the guy who owns Monster is a super helpful guy.

I know satisfied owners of the Barley Crusher and the JSP Malt Mill. In the end, just about everyone seems to be pleased with whatever mill they buy, so in a way, you can't go wrong.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 09:03:45 am »
I've been using a "standard" Barley Crusher for 6 years with no problems and good results.  I brew about 20 5-gallon batches a year with a few 10-gallon batches mixed in.  I hand-crank my mill for most 5-gallon batch grain bills and use a drill for 10-gallon batches.  My mill is adjusted to 0.029 and I don't have any problems with stuck sparges - even with 50% wheat grist.

Some report problems with their Barley Crusher's "free" roller not spinning freely.  That's a maintenance issue.  If you mill dry and clean the mill after each use, it shouldn't be a problem.  I use a cheap 1" paintbrush to dust out the mill after each use and blow out any remaining grain dust.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!