Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Organization  (Read 5800 times)

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Organization
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 09:07:27 am »

Panoramic shot of the basement. Garage still needs to be worked on desperately.

What do you have your grain stored in?
Trey W.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 10:31:52 am »
Something I always keep in mind when I am organizing anything is the flow or sequence of the work.  In other words, when I use something determines where it goes.

A great example of this on a macro level is the new brewery in town (balebreaker.com).  They organized the inside of the brewery to operate in a clockwise fashion: malt deliveries/silo on the South side, just inside that south wall going North is the MT, LT, BK,.  Then the fermenters along the North wall heading East, packaging along the East wall and finally cold storage/shipping is back at the South side.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:36:08 am »

Looks to be some of the same containers I have some of my grain in: Vittle Vault II
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 06:53:13 am »
Awesome. Thanks Drew.
Trey W.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 05:56:06 am »

Looks to be some of the same containers I have some of my grain in: Vittle Vault II

Yep. Vittle Vaults.

I just ordered a 25CF chest freezer to hold all of those kegs too. I gotta get the current kegerator out of the garage, it's crampin my style.

Once I get the sour beer area done and the chest freezer up and running, I'll post back.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 06:43:32 am »
Something I always keep in mind when I am organizing anything is the flow or sequence of the work.  In other words, when I use something determines where it goes.

A great example of this on a macro level is the new brewery in town (balebreaker.com).  They organized the inside of the brewery to operate in a clockwise fashion: malt deliveries/silo on the South side, just inside that south wall going North is the MT, LT, BK,.  Then the fermenters along the North wall heading East, packaging along the East wall and finally cold storage/shipping is back at the South side.
Bale breaker is good stuff. Still not used to craft cans yet, call me old fashioned. But their brewery looks cool. Beautiful setting! One cute owner too lol

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:11 am »

Yep. Vittle Vaults.

I just ordered a 25CF chest freezer to hold all of those kegs too. I gotta get the current kegerator out of the garage, it's crampin my style.

Once I get the sour beer area done and the chest freezer up and running, I'll post back.

Cool setup Amanda!

I've decided that instead of going pro I'm just going to go crazy. My three year plan is a dedicated 24x24 brew shop with a walkway bridge to a yurt tasting room. Lots of room for walk in temp control and storage. Wood stove in the yurt and a couple 4 tap keezers steam punk styled.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 09:56:36 am »
I'd post a picture, but it looks like a homebrew shop, woodworking shop, and kayak shop all vomited in the garage.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:13 am »
I'd post a picture, but it looks like a homebrew shop, woodworking shop, and kayak shop all vomited in the garage.

That basically describes my brewery/shop.  8^)

Very nice looking setup you have there Amanda!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 10:41:38 am »
Nice setup Amanda!

Organization is key to brewday efficiency. A stich in time saves nine as the old addage goes. I try to keep everything in the same place. I use vittle vaults for my grain and an upright freezer for hops. I keep all of my hoses together, as well as all of the fermenters and carboys. I think I could be more organized, but just need to find more time to get more organized.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 04:30:15 pm »
I actually might get some organization in my brewing life soon. Out housemates recently moved out so the 'spare' room is spare again and I have dibs on half of it. so I'll at least have a place to store my gear other than the 8 square feet in the garage that was previously mine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jparker

• 1st Kit
    • On The Loose Brewery Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 07:46:40 pm »
John Blichmann wrote an excellent article on designing your homebrewery space in the November 2012 issue of Brew Your Own.

While Google searching I also found a Powerpoint presentation by John that incorporates a lot of the photos from the BYO article.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 08:15:38 pm »
John Blichmann wrote an excellent article on designing your homebrewery space in the November 2012 issue of Brew Your Own.

While Google searching I also found a Powerpoint presentation by John that incorporates a lot of the photos from the BYO article.

Links?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 06:48:28 am »

Links?
John did a presentation at the 2010 NHC.
http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2010/Tips___Tricks_to_Setting_Up_Your_Own_Homebrewery-Blichmann.pdf
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 09:33:36 am »
That's an excellent presentation. Gave me some ideas. ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis