Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactobacillus and sugar water = gloop?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Lactobacillus and sugar water = gloop?
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:46:44 am »
My son's biology project was to compare attenuation of brewers yeast and lacto using wort, apple juice, and sugar water. We prepared samples of nearly identical starting gravities if each and fermented in one-gallon growlers. The results were mostly as expected except for the sugar water. We used table sugar and filtered rap water and boiled for 10 minutes just like we did the wort.

But the one fermented with lacto (wlp677) came out with the consistency of hand sanitizer. Like a thin clear jelly. Also it smelled like nail polish remover.

Any ideas why it came out like this?

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Lactobacillus and sugar water = gloop?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:57:27 am »
Nail polish remover might be ethyl acetate which I think you normally get from bacterial action on acetic acid and ethanol. That doesn't fully answer the question though. Hmm. Sugar water probably has a high pH compared to worry and juice. Lacto may not have been active due to pH and something else took off. There are organisms that cause "ropiness" in cider.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:36:31 am »
Ropiness is the first thing that came to mind to me, too. Can't remember which organism causes that. Pedio?

Otoh Lactic acid is pretty thick and slimy.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:39:01 am »
Ropiness is the first thing that came to mind to me, too. Can't remember which organism causes that. Pedio?

Otoh Lactic acid is pretty thick and slimy.

yes pedio. maybe others. But yeah, lactic bacteria produce a gel from milk, it's called yogurt. There are a lot more proteins in milk though. (like... some)

weird. can you test the pH? is the entire volume like that or is there different strata/textures?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:42 am »
Starting ph was 7.19, ending was 4.07. I thought about the strata thing. Will have to pour it all out to see. We didn't know about the ph tolerance before starting. I've emailed white labs to get their thoughts also.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:01:18 am »
Ropiness from pedio usually takes quite awhile to develop in beer - pedio is a slow mutha, especially if its an infection (not a  cultured pitch).

Maybe the WL lacto strain can produce ropiness? Take a look at Wild Brews. I know it can produce a kind-of-pellicle, so that may be what you're seeing. I've only used the Wyeast culture, but I understand the WL version to be more akin to what you can culture from grain.

Side note: This is an awesome biology project. High School? Is he using Wild Brews as a reference?
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 10:10:41 am »
9th grade. He did it on my suggestion. Haven't looked at wild brews book though. I just told him that the typical homebrewer assumes that bacteria will ferment more of the sugars than yeast and the results bear that out.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:10 am »
9th grade. He did it on my suggestion. Haven't looked at wild brews book though. I just told him that the typical homebrewer assumes that bacteria will ferment more of the sugars than yeast and the results bear that out.

Definitely a great source for report material. Deep topics, broken down in no-nonsense explanations.

Do you mind sharing the experiment and results when its done? I would have thought the opposite (yeast attenuates more than lacto).
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 12:58:58 pm »
Yeah I'll post the tables this weekend.