Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite lager strain?  (Read 13512 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Favorite lager strain?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 05:48:37 pm »
What about WLP800 (Pilsner) and WLP840 (American)? Any good? I am also new to lagers. I just bought the two above yesterday.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 10:19:01 pm »
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 11:48:13 pm »
When I got my dual control freezer going I tried WY American lager and bohemian and wasn't happy. I'm certain it wasn't the yeast, buy something I hadn't learned yet. But my last try with 2112 was stellar.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 06:03:42 am »
Those who like 2112, at what temperatures are you pitching/fermenting?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 06:29:21 am »
I chilled my starter and my wort to 55°, decant and pitched. Kept at 55° till done, which amounted to 28 days.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 07:16:42 am »
What about WLP800 (Pilsner) and WLP840 (American)? Any good? I am also new to lagers. I just bought the two above yesterday.

I believe WLP840 is the same as WY2007, which is the Bud strain. I've used the 2007, and it is a nice, very clean lager yeast. But it's too clean for my tastes, and I swear I pick up some Bud-like fermentation character from it (that may be a pro or con). If you're going for an American-style lager, though, it would be an excellent choice.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »
my go to for all my German lagers is Weihenstephan 34/70. Love this yeast. Just split a batch of Munich Dunkel with wyeast 2206 and 34/70 and the 34/70 just taste "crisper" and dryer even though they finished the same. I do though love the wlp 833 bock strain also.

34/70 does like a little higher temp 52 to 54.  I pitch at 48 let rise to 52 and hold till near done then room temp for 5 days or so then lager. i use to hold it at 50 but it just took to long for my personal comfort level to start and always finished high. i consistently get 72% attenuation with this ferm profile.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:37:04 pm by quattlebaum »

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
I like 2112.
2112 is also quite nice.

Is it really a lager yeast?  I don't think of it that way, but I don't know for certain.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 02:47:27 pm »
I'm guessing so since Wyeast lists it as a lager. But they also say that " n brewing, Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the Genus and Species that is of the most significance. Ale and lager yeasts are currently both classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae but historically have been considered separate species with lager yeasts in the Saccharomyces uvarum (carlsbergensis) classification."
Going by how they list it, and the aroma and flavor of the beer it produced when fermented at 55°, I'm sticking with Lager.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 03:03:12 pm »
I'm guessing so since Wyeast lists it as a lager. But they also say that " n brewing, Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the Genus and Species that is of the most significance. Ale and lager yeasts are currently both classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae but historically have been considered separate species with lager yeasts in the Saccharomyces uvarum (carlsbergensis) classification."
Going by how they list it, and the aroma and flavor of the beer it produced when fermented at 55°, I'm sticking with Lager.

Okey dokey!  I've never been a fan of that one myself.  Maybe I'll ask somebody at Wyeast about it when I see them next.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »
I need to stop in there some day. Drive right by it every time I grab the grandson. Anyone know if they retail at the plant?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 03:44:24 pm »
I need to stop in there some day. Drive right by it every time I grab the grandson. Anyone know if they retail at the plant?

I'm pretty sure they don't.  Lemme know if you stop and I'll give ya some names.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »
Will do

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »
I've always thought of 2112 as a "hybrid" lager yeast and 2565 Kolsch as a "hybrid" ale yeast because they are both capable of producing in either wheelhouse.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 05:55:49 am »
I've always thought of 2112 as a "hybrid" lager yeast and 2565 Kolsch as a "hybrid" ale yeast because they are both capable of producing in either wheelhouse.

+1
Jon H.