Author Topic: Favorite lager strain?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline wort-h.o.g.

• Brewer
  • Was möchten Sie trinken?
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Favorite lager strain?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 08:01:07 AM »
For those the WLP-833. I have done a Munich Dunkel split with 833 and 835 to see how those compare. The 833 is said to be the Ayinger strain. The 835 is "lager X" which rhymes nicely with Kloster Andechs. Both of those make very good Dunkels, so I decided to split the batch.

For German Pilsners I am fond of good old WLP830.

+1 on both 833 for malty brew, 830 for my german pils.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 08:38:20 AM »
For those the WLP-833. I have done a Munich Dunkel split with 833 and 835 to see how those compare. The 833 is said to be the Ayinger strain. The 835 is "lager X" which rhymes nicely with Kloster Andechs. Both of those make very good Dunkels, so I decided to split the batch.

For German Pilsners I am fond of good old WLP830.

+1 on both 833 for malty brew, 830 for my german pils.

+2
I have two starters of 830 spinning as we speak, ready for step 2 tonight and a German Pils this Friday.
Thank you BEER!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »
I've always thought of 2112 as a "hybrid" lager yeast and 2565 Kolsch as a "hybrid" ale yeast because they are both capable of producing in either wheelhouse.

+1

+2.  I did an experiment with 2112 and fermented 5G of Steam Beer at 55F and 5G at 68F of a 10G batch.  The beers were identical.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
Historically, i've always used 830, but in 2013 I think I used 833 8-10 times, and I really enjoyed the results even with German Pils so i think i might stick with it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm actually going to give Wyeast 2633 (Octoberfest blend) a go for my first round of malt-forward lagers. I wasn't aware that it is now available year round. I was really happy with my results the one time I used it for an Ofest. I figure I'll just focus on one strain for now and try it in a few recipes to start. Probably go Dunkel > Marzen > Dopplebock. I may try the Marzen and Dunkel at different temps while I'm at it, too, just to get a feel for how this strain works.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm actually going to give Wyeast 2633 (Octoberfest blend) a go for my first round of malt-forward lagers. I wasn't aware that it is now available year round. I was really happy with my results the one time I used it for an Ofest. I figure I'll just focus on one strain for now and try it in a few recipes to start. Probably go Dunkel > Marzen > Dopplebock. I may try the Marzen and Dunkel at different temps while I'm at it, too, just to get a feel for how this strain works.

A fine yeast. Really enjoyed the O-fests I made last year with WY2633 and WL833.
Thank you BEER!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »

Use this in all my Ofests with great results.  Don't be afraid to use it in a light lager either!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »
I really like the 833 for malty styles, but I'll tell ya, 830 works for everything in a pinch.  I used it exclusively this year for all styles of lager that I brew (Ofest, Dunkel, Pils, doppelbock, and Baltic Porter).
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Online chumley

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »
Outside of S-23 dry yeast, I can't think of any lager yeast I dislike, as long as its fermented around 50°F.

Someone needs to do a shout out for WY2308 Munich.  A great yeast for bock beer.  I love the way its stinks up the whole basement, but the finished beer tastes so good.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
Outside of S-23 dry yeast, I can't think of any lager yeast I dislike, as long as its fermented around 50°F.

Someone needs to do a shout out for WY2308 Munich.  A great yeast for bock beer.  I love the way its stinks up the whole basement, but the finished beer tastes so good.

I had intended to do a split batch on a Helles with WL830 and WY2308. Both my sources were cleaned out of the 2308 so were rolling with the 830.  Pondering pitching a bigger darker wort on the yeast cake. 
Any recommendations?
Thank you BEER!

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »

I had intended to do a split batch on a Helles with WL830 and WY2308. Both my sources were cleaned out of the 2308 so were rolling with the 830.  Pondering pitching a bigger darker wort on the yeast cake. 
Any recommendations?

Doppelbock or Baltic Porter would be my choices.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline el_capitan

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »

Any recommendations?

I just pitched 2308 into a Munich Helles.  I'm just getting into lagers, so this strain is the only one I've used.  Last year I used 2308 in a Vienna Lager, then a Munich Dunkel.  Both were really nice and malty, crisp, and clean.  I'm planning to use it again for another batch of Vienna Lager and also a Schwarzbier. 
All for Brew...

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »

Any recommendations?

I just pitched 2308 into a Munich Helles.  I'm just getting into lagers, so this strain is the only one I've used.  Last year I used 2308 in a Vienna Lager, then a Munich Dunkel.  Both were really nice and malty, crisp, and clean.  I'm planning to use it again for another batch of Vienna Lager and also a Schwarzbier.
Been a long while since I've made a Schwarz. That sounds kinda good.
Thank you BEER!

Offline beersk

• Senior Brewmaster
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
WY2206 is nice in a helles. It's soft and malty. I used the slurry for a Pilsner, but I'm thinking it's not the right yeast for that style; well, maybe for a Boh Pils it might be. But for a German pils, I don't think it ferments dry enough. Nice and clean yeast. I plan to use the yeast from the pilsner for a Maibock this weekend. The Boh Pils started at 1.056 and finished at 1.015. Was hoping it'd come down a few more points, but no big deal, it's 5.3% right now.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:07:41 PM by beersk »
Watch out for those Cross Dressing Amateurs!

Offline scottNU

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on Wyeast 2001? A friend of mine was talking up this strain, but I hadn't seen any comments on it in this thread.