Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Classic American Pilsener  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Upstate Dan

• Cellarman
  • Albany, NY
Classic American Pilsener
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:12 pm »
Wow. This style is phenomenal. I just poured a pint from the keezer. It could be my new house beer - at least in the winter when it's easier to chill to pitching temperatures. WLP800 takes forever, but it's worth the wait.

I used Jamil's recipe and personally think it needs no adjustments. Does anyone else brew this regularly?

Happy brewing!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Classic American Pilsener
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:46:18 pm »
I make one once a year. 80% 6 row, 20% corn meal cereal mashed. Cluster for bittering to 38 IBU (total with late additions calculated in the total) then Jamils late Saaz additions. WLP 833.

Got a first place in NHC first round, 38 in second round with no medal. The judges said they got corn, not bitter enough. Will bump it up in IBUs next time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:13:26 am »
I make one once a year. 80% 6 row, 20% corn meal cereal mashed. Cluster for bittering to 38 IBU (total with late additions calculated in the total) then Jamils late Saaz additions. WLP 833.

Got a first place in NHC first round, 38 in second round with no medal. The judges said they got corn, not bitter enough. Will bump it up in IBUs next time.

I remember having Jeff's CAP at club night at the NHC in San Diego, one of the best beers of the night!
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »
I always have one on tap. 70% 6-row, 5% munich, 25% flaked corn. I used to use corn meal and a cereal mash but this last batch I used flaked maize to save time on the brew day. No efficiency difference and I think I like the flavor better. Magnum hops for bittering and MT Hood for FWH and knock-out additions. I keep playing with the IBU's and this last one was around 50 which I think is about right.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:54:27 pm by snowtiger87 »
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 01:30:22 pm »
I made the same recipe that Jeff cited above and the only negative feedback from judges was, "would like more hop aroma."  Two first places and one third in three comps.  High score of 43.
I made it again and increased the late hops (Hersbrucker) but this one seems more bitter.  Wyeast 2206 IIRC
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995