Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Yeast for English Style Barleywine?  (Read 10274 times)

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Dry Yeast for English Style Barleywine?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 10:09:05 pm »
I like S-04 in a lot of English styles.  It is a champ in terms of working hard and dropping out when done....

A big +1 here on that.  I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liquid yeast devotee.
That said, S-04 has never disappointed me when doing a last minute, impulsive brew with no time to 'grow up' my preferred house yeast.
Ans it's great through multiple repitches as well.  I've even repitched S-04 yeast from a barleywine ferment into a mild ale ferment with no issues whatsoever.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »
I like S-04 in a lot of English styles.  It is a champ in terms of working hard and dropping out when done....

A big +1 here on that.  I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liquid yeast devotee.
That said, S-04 has never disappointed me when doing a last minute, impulsive brew with no time to 'grow up' my preferred house yeast.
Ans it's great through multiple repitches as well.  I've even repitched S-04 yeast from a barleywine ferment into a mild ale ferment with no issues whatsoever.

I used to pretty much exclusively use liquid yeast as well.  Been switching back to dried yeast for the past couple of years.  My access to viable liquid yeast is somewhat questionable where I live.  I used to have quite a collection of cultures but I started finding it too time consuming to keep up with culture maintenance and getting my cultures started ahead of time.  I'd like to get my culture ranch started again at some point and get culture samples into the deep freeze so I don't have to worry about reculturing them, etc.  Next time I take a trip down to the States (I'm in Alaska) I might have to pick up a couple of fresh cultures to bring back with me.  For now I've been enjoying how easy dried yeast has been.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:56 am »
Another vote for Nottingham.

How do S-04 and Nottingham compare?

I've never used S-04, but I bought some recently with the intention of doing a comparison.

I don't get "bready" from Nottingham.  I do find it to have more esters than you might expect as it is usually described as a "neutral" fermenter.  Mostly, for me, that's been expressed as a tartness on the finish.  I'll get a similar tartness from some commerical English ales, but not as pronounced.

My hope is that I'll like S-04 and use it instead of Nottingham.  I've been disappointed with most of my lower gravity beers that used Nottingham but it seems to be a champ on the bigger beers.  And I don't get the tartness.  Maybe it ages out?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 05:18:11 pm »
Well I ended up going with S-04.  I ended up pitching 3 packs into my wort with an OG of 1.100 (a couple of the packs were old so I wanted to make sure I had good viable yeast).  Took it from 1.100 to 1.018 in 7 days!  Tasting a little hot right now but I imagine that will mellow with age.  Tastes like good barleywine underneath the alcohol heat.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 11:13:37 am »
Well I ended up going with S-04.  I ended up pitching 3 packs into my wort with an OG of 1.100 (a couple of the packs were old so I wanted to make sure I had good viable yeast).  Took it from 1.100 to 1.018 in 7 days!  Tasting a little hot right now but I imagine that will mellow with age.  Tastes like good barleywine underneath the alcohol heat.

The aging will definitely be beneficial...  I usually let my Barleywines age for at least a year before enjoying it  and I brew it regularly so I always have some with proper age on it.  For me (and as per tradition) the aging step is key if you're going for a true, traditional English  Barleywine/Old Ale (which historically are of course essentially the same thing)
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 02:03:17 pm »
What Joe Sr. said.  The S-04 stays bready, the tartness from Nottingham doesn't seem so pronounced in a big beer.  A barley wine has a little sweetness from all that malt that masks the tartness, I think.

I used to use Nottingham in cream ales, where that tartness wasn't too bad.  That S-04 bready flavor....I just never cared for it.