Author Topic: Grapefruit IPA recipe?  (Read 12431 times)

Online HoosierBrew

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Grapefruit IPA recipe?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
Recent conversation

Hey Jim, how much grapefruit did you put in that IPA you gave me?

None, that flavor comes from the hops.

Oh, wow, they must not use any hops in Coors light.

No, no they don't.

Man, I swear I've had that same conversation a hundred times ! 
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
Part of the fun is converting folks
By the way, I get grapefruit from Simcoe mosaic combination,  one to one all the way thru

cornershot

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
That sounds great !  I may take some of that for a test drive. Thanks Al.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 08:33:40 PM »
I get that hops taste like grapefruit (duh) but there's nothing quite like the actual addition of real grapefruit. Ya'll are homebrewers. you should actually try it!
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »
I get that hops taste like grapefruit (duh) but there's nothing quite like the actual addition of real grapefruit. Ya'll are homebrewers. you should actually try it!

I'm planning on it, at very least using the zest in secondary.  The saison I had done that way was fantastic - the grapefruit flavor and aroma was stellar. May do that on the next one actually.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
I really like the grapefruit flavor that hops can provide. What doesn't appeal to me as much is adding the actual grapefruit or juice. Have done it plenty of times since fresh grapefruit should have a natural affinity for beer. Well it doesn't. Not to me. Not made for each other. Can it be pulled off? Sure. But it seems to be a stretch as an example Shiner's Ruby Redbird is complete sh!t in my opinion.

I'll leave it to the hops to provide the flavor I want.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2014, 06:47:18 PM »
I really like the grapefruit flavor that hops can provide. What doesn't appeal to me as much is adding the actual grapefruit or juice. Have done it plenty of times since fresh grapefruit should have a natural affinity for beer. Well it doesn't. Not to me. Not made for each other. Can it be pulled off? Sure. But it seems to be a stretch as an example Shiner's Ruby Redbird is complete sh!t in my opinion.

Betcha you would change your mind if you tried Citrus Ninja. Time I did IIPA through the grapefruit randall was pretty spectacular, too.

Nothing Shiner ever does has ever impressed me so there's no surprise there. Their beers are barely mediocre and even that's giving them more credit then they deserve.
Keith Y.

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 06:52:12 PM »

Betcha you would change your mind if you tried Citrus Ninja. Time I did IIPA through the grapefruit randall was pretty spectacular, too.

Nothing Shiner ever does has ever impressed me so there's no surprise there. Their beers are barely mediocre and even that's giving them more credit then they deserve.

Yeah, their "bock" is a bock kinda the same way Dr Pepper is a medical doctor. Not a fan.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

Yeah, their "bock" is a bock kinda the same way Dr Pepper is a medical doctor. Not a fan.

Supposed to be "Shiner Blech" and they misspelled it. ;)
Keith Y.

Online HoosierBrew

• Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 06:58:55 PM »

Supposed to be "Shiner Blech" and they misspelled it. ;)

Nice  - I like it  :D     
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 07:09:25 PM »
Nah I like some of their beers. Shiner Bock isn't the first beer I'd buy but certainly not the worst I've had that're widely available. To their credit I think the seasonals have improved quite a bit over the last couple of years.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline Teetsy

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »
Get the grapefruit from hops. Fermented citrus can taste like vomit. Personally I think it tastes like tequila vomit.

I'm glad I read this. I have been wanting to do an IPA grapefruit just didn't know how much to use. Now I know none.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2014, 07:14:46 AM »
Get the grapefruit from hops. Fermented citrus can taste like vomit. Personally I think it tastes like tequila vomit.

I'm glad I read this. I have been wanting to do an IPA grapefruit just didn't know how much to use. Now I know none.

I guess you didn't bother reading the rest of the posts.  ::) I don't think you should ferment them but if you ever try a beer like Citrus Ninja you will understand it can be done and can be done extremely well.
Keith Y.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
I figured I'd dig this up since I just had a Stone Grapefruit Slam IPA. This beer is very good. According to their site, they use the peel.
Frank