Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: stuck BarleyWine  (Read 7961 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: stuck BarleyWine
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 01:18:24 pm »
I don't think champagne yeast will do ya any good...you're not looking at an alcohol tolerance issue as far as I can tell.  Even though you've got a lb. of sugar in there, the extract, 2 lb. of crystal and 1 lb. of dark grains are working against you.  If you repitch, I'd recommend either about 3 packs of US-05 or a qt. or so of an actively fermenting starter.

denny, to educate me further, is that because of the UNfermentable sugars the crystal, and dark grains, and extract add to the wort?

Yep, that's exactly it!  And pay attention to Fred's advice...he's a master of big beers!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 02:02:43 pm »
One trouble with extracts is that we, the brewer, have no control over the fermentable/non-fermentable mix of sugars, and in fact they are usually somewhat less fermentable than a similar AG batch.  No big deal and very easy to compensate for with normal strength brews.

enzymes in the mash work on breaking down the starches and complex(non-fermentable) sugars into simpler (fermentable) sugars.
If you did not get enough enzyme action there is nothing that will allow the wort to become more fermentable.  Beer yeast is capable of fermenting a simple sugar solution (with nutrients and aeration) down to near 1.000 or lower, and does so in mead fermentations where the OG is not too high.  (I'm not proposing beer yeast for most meads). 

adding enzymes (beano) or other diastatic enzymes (see your LHBS, they may carry some) post boil will shift the sugar balance toward being more-fermentable.    I normal brewing we have an easy and effective waay of stopping this action, the boil.
The issue in adding post boil is how to stop it.  Some brewers say you don't need to.  I do not add enzymes as part of my brewing process so I can't help there. 

The S04 yeast cake will be fine to use.  Most of the yeast character (or lack thereof) has allready been impartted to the beer, so you will see minimal flavor contribution from the yeast.

You have what should be a very good full bodied English Barleywine going on.  One of my best has a 1.065 FG in a 17.5% English BW (National winner of the COC Imperial Anything competition) so don't be afraid of a high FG.

Read this http://beerdujour.com/Howtobrewabigbeer.htm

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 10:03:38 am »
After over 200 days in the secondary, the Barleywine's gravity was finally taken again.  It is sitting at 1.036 !!  A huge thank you to Fred and everyone else who offered support on this. Of course, the fun of taking hydro readings is tasting the sample afterwards. This tasted like a completely different beer than when I was panicky and started this thread (see above). I am now looking forward to what this tastes like when carbonated and chilled.  My beersmith software computes this to be an 11.2% beer. I would like to bottle this beer.  Do you suggest a higher alcohol tolerant yeast such as rehydrated T-58 (or something similar?) be added at bottling? Again, Fred, Denny, and all, thank you for your troubleshooting assistance on this.  Cheers!!
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 12:22:01 pm »
At 11% you can still bottle carbonate, I would add some us05 because of the length of time.

much bigger and the only option becomes force carbonation in a keg and bottling from there.

Fred
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)