Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Upgrading  (Read 6124 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Upgrading
« on: December 27, 2013, 07:41:21 pm »
Today I built a 60' 1/2" recirculation immersion chiller. Ordered a pump and assorted connection hardware. I also ordered a second 15 gallon kettle. That will give me a 15 gallon MT, 8 gallon HLT, 15 gallon BK, all moved by pump. Grabbed a 50' RV supply hose and installed a ball valve on the end of it. No more carrying water. Woo hoo!

While I had the soldering going I built this little guy for my BK. Inspired by a photo Denny posted a while back.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: Upgrading
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 08:46:00 pm »
Is that a pickup tube for your BK?  Looks good man, altho im not sure about copper/bronze in hot wort.  Arnt there some issues with how acidic wort is and the reactions it can create in copper?
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:04:26 pm »
I assume not since Denny showed a picture of his. Looked like a fitting with a bent copper tube.

This was just luck. Mpt fitting and a couple elbows. I wasn't sure there was room to thread it in without hitting the bottom, but it misses by a fraction.

I'm hopeful it works with my new RIC and pump whirlpool

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 09:14:14 pm »
Copper is considered beneficial in brewing and distilling. You need to have some copper in your brew kettle.

Nice solution that I haven't seen tried before. Have to let us know how it works.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:30:45 pm »
Will do. Here's my chiller by the way. I think it will do the job. I was kicking around using copper wire and solder to hold it together but I think zip ties are a better idea. Easier to clean that way. I'll just have to keep a bag of zip ties around.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:32:42 pm »

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:36:15 pm »
Dang! That thing looks like it could freeze hell over. I hope it does because there are a lot of women who will go out with me when that happens.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »
Great work Jim!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 10:33:07 pm »
Thanks. Not pretty but functional. It makes my old chiller look pathetic. It was 20' of 3/8. I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 12:19:08 am »
Nice job!  Jealous I can't be as crafty.   Not an expert but from what I've heard from John Palmer and others no need to worry about the many of the metals people say are dangerous. Listen to the Brew Strong episodes on metal- but I bet you have already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian
mobrewer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:24:48 am »
Haven't done that one yet but I will.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 12:54:23 am »
There a recent episode and a rather old one as well.  I didn't know this but Palmer is a metallurgist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian
mobrewer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 02:05:12 am »
Yeah, somewhere I read or heard that some brewers throw a piece of copper in the boil since they are using only stainless elsewhere.  Supposed to be healthy for yeast.

I love automation and organization.  And beer.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 06:59:15 am »
Nice work Jim !  Looks great.  You'll have to let us know how it works compared to your old one.
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 07:11:50 am »
Great work!  That chiller looks really nice.  Look forward to hear how everything works out!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg