Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast options  (Read 5650 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Yeast options
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 03:24:10 pm »
Denny,
Would you consider this beer a high gravity beer that even needs a starter? The recipe lists the following gravity ranges;
SG- 1.064-1.068
FG- 1.012-1.018

it wouldn't hurt. if the yeast is liquid and anything short of super fresh (check the used by date on WYeast packages) you will do well to make a starter.

simplest form is ~100 grams Dry Malt Extract (DME) to 1000 ml water, boil to dissolve/sanitize, pour into a sanitized container with ~30% more capacity than the starter volume and chill to pitching temps then  add the yeast. Swirl the whole thing everytime you walk by for a couple/few days and then put in the fridge 2 days before pitching. Decant most of the liquid and pitch the slurry at the bottom. Mr Malty elaborates
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »
Denny,
Would you consider this beer a high gravity beer that even needs a starter? The recipe lists the following gravity ranges;
SG- 1.064-1.068
FG- 1.012-1.018

it wouldn't hurt. if the yeast is liquid and anything short of super fresh (check the used by date on WYeast packages) you will do well to make a starter.

simplest form is ~100 grams Dry Malt Extract (DME) to 1000 ml water, boil to dissolve/sanitize, pour into a sanitized container with ~30% more capacity than the starter volume and chill to pitching temps then  add the yeast. Swirl the whole thing everytime you walk by for a couple/few days and then put in the fridge 2 days before pitching. Decant most of the liquid and pitch the slurry at the bottom. Mr Malty elaborates

thanks Jeffy :o
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 04:28:10 pm »
The (starter yeast) process looks necessary but perhaps a little out of my comfort zone. I don't have any extra DME on hand (LHBS hopefully has small bags) and I don't have a digital scale. Any thoughts?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »
The (starter yeast) process looks necessary but perhaps a little out of my comfort zone. I don't have any extra DME on hand (LHBS hopefully has small bags) and I don't have a digital scale. Any thoughts?

Yeah, use 2 smack packs of Wyeast.  it'll be enough yeast for a beer of that OG.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:58 pm »
Thanks to everyone! I just read this link below and it seems easy enough to follow.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 07:37:54 am »
Yeah I would suggest getting into yeast starters... It's really needed to get your pitch count up high enough for most beers you brew.  Buying 2-4 packs of yeast gets expensive real quick.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 07:50:58 am »
Yeah I would suggest getting into yeast starters... It's really needed to get your pitch count up high enough for most beers you brew.  Buying 2-4 packs of yeast gets expensive real quick.

Agreed.  I recommended using 2 packs because he didn't seem comfortable with a starter. But long term, it's obviously cheaper.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:39 am »
I know a guy who went all grain before buying a stir plate and flask. Oh, wait... I am a guy who went all grain before buying a stir plate and flask. I do that different if I had a time machine

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 09:04:45 am »
I know a guy who went all grain before buying a stir plate and flask. Oh, wait... I am a guy who went all grain before buying a stir plate and flask. I do that different if I had a time machine

Bah, I still don't have a stir plate and my flask just sits in the cupboard. Half gallon mason jars and regular swirling works for me. I'll save the stir plate money for ingredients
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 09:32:49 am »
I'll save the stir plate money for ingredients

I built both my stir plates for maybe a $5 investment because I didn't have any power switches sitting around.  I had everything else, so it was simple.

Old hard drive for magnets, computer fan, cigar box, old Nokia power adapter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 09:40:20 am »
Denny,
SG- 1.064-1.068
FG- 1.012-1.018

Yep.  My experience is that anything over 1.040 OG needs a starter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 09:42:46 am »

Bah, I still don't have a stir plate and my flask just sits in the cupboard. Half gallon mason jars and regular swirling works for me. I'll save the stir plate money for ingredients

I'm with you.  The only reason I use a stir plate is because someone gave me one.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 09:50:57 am »

+1.  Same here.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:35 am »

+1.  Same here.

+2 - I rarely make starters because I only brew 3 gallon batches, but when I do (i.e., lagers) I just use a 1-gallon jug.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 12:19:28 pm »

I'm with you.  The only reason I use a stir plate is because someone gave me one.

Someone gave me one when he moved, I bought a stir starter, and I won another stir starter in a raffle. I'm set for a while.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!