Author Topic: Simple Aeration?  (Read 958 times)

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Simple Aeration?
« on: December 28, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »
During my time on this forum I've come across several methods of aeration and some pretty elaborate methods. I once used a stirring rod that hooked up to my drill but have since even gotten away from that since I've started to filter my wort through nylon stockings into a bucket about 9 or 10 months ago. I was wondering if anybody else does the following or has any comments or concerns with my method....

As said above, I filter my wort into a fermenting bucket. Then I slowly dump the wort through a funnel and into a carboy. It appears that I have adequate aeration after this pour. I usually have active fermentation in 6-10 hours.
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Aeration?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »
I will be pumping to fermentor after whirlpool settles. I then let my wort and yeast pitch sit in the refer over night. The next morning I aerate with a mix stir and pitch.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »
I pour from my kettle into two buckets through a strainer. I carry the two buckets downstairs and pour them into my conical. All that pouring whips up all the air my yeast needs.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline trapae

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
After I transfer my cooled wort to conical, I aerate with 100% O2 for 50 seconds using aeration stone/rod (from Williams) hooked to small/cheap 02 welders tank u can get at any hardware store.  I boil the stone and then soak in stars an prior to aeration. 

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »
Still happy with my handy balloon whisk.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time" - A. Einstein

Jonathan I Fuller

Offline dzlater

• Brewer
  • New Jersey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »
I just shake it.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »
I also just shake it, but love reading all the different processes. Cheers.
Hermen D.
Liquid Poets Society - Homebrew Club

Offline fmader

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »
Ok... Good... I was starting to think that I was the only brewer without an O2 pump.
Frank

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
Ok... Good... I was starting to think that I was the only brewer without an O2 pump.

I read somewhere once that dumping a couple of gallons of wort into a couple gallons of wort will oxygenate just as much as an air stone will. I have also read that there is some kind of disadvantage to this as well but I don't remember what it was. I just do it so that I don't have to carry 5 gallons of beer down my stairs in one shot and the oxygenating is just sort of a bonus.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Online hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »

I read somewhere once that dumping a couple of gallons of wort into a couple gallons of wort will oxygenate just as much as an air stone will. I have also read that there is some kind of disadvantage to this as well but I don't remember what it was. I just do it so that I don't have to carry 5 gallons of beer down my stairs in one shot and the oxygenating is just sort of a bonus.

Air will get you to 8 ppm. That is fine for most beers. I have started just pumping most ales into the fermenter, and that does fine.

For lagers or high gravity ales I use O2.

I was using O2 for everything, and the ales were too clean, they lacked character from the esters.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »

Nope, you're not. For beers sub-1.090 OG I've never found any real advantage to using 02. I think above that gravity a minute or two of 02 can be a benefit. A mix stir on a cordless drill is what I use for pretty much everything and I get quick starts and good attenuation.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »
I pour hard and/or shake the bucket for a few 15-second bursts for most beers. Beers over 1.080 or so get about a second of O2 for every gravity point. But if you don't have oxygen, a second aeration with something like a whisk/mix-stir/slotted spoon after about 12 hours would make up for the lower O2 saturation from air. I did this prior to my O2 setup and never had an issue.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »
I rack so that the wort fans out on the side of the carboy.  I then follow with 45 secs of shaking.

Brewers of South Suburbia
Brixie's Brewers
Oak Park Homebrewers

Offline dave.kline

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »
I use a siphon sprayer at the end of the tubing coming off of the ball valve. It has worked well for me.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24:01 AM »
Fill the headspace in the carboy with oxygen, put a stopper in it, rest the carboy on the floor, tilt the carboy 45 degrees, and twist it back and forth - shaking the beejeebers outta the wort.  You can supersaturate the wort with oxygen this way.

Using this method with ambient air (21% oxygen) is highly effective too.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907