Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trub and PH?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Trub and PH?
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:18:36 pm »
Do ya think that while taking PH reading that the amount of Trub in the test sample can cause "false" readings?  The last 2 batches i have made my post boil PH has actually went up a bit.  I take all my readings with a calibrated Milwaukee 101 at room temp. I attempt to be very consistent with my "processes" and tend to take the last sample of wort while transferring to fermenter with quite a bit trub in the sample. I suppose ill have to try and take a clean sample.

It must be user error.

Recipe: Vienna    TYPE: All Grain
Style: Vienna Lager
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 7.8 SRM      SRM RANGE: 10.0-16.0 SRM
IBU: 24.3 IBUs Tinseth   IBU RANGE: 18.0-30.0 IBUs
OG: 1.051 SG      OG RANGE: 1.046-1.052 SG
FG: 1.013 SG      FG RANGE: 1.010-1.014 SG
BU:GU: 0.477      Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz   Est ABV: 5.0 %      
EE%: 73.00 %   Batch: 3.25 gal      Boil: 4.90 gal   BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------
Starting Water (ppm):         
Ca:   66      
Mg:   20      
Na:   27      
Cl:   18      
SO4:   36      
HCO3:   262      

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal):   2.62   /   3
RO or distilled %:          40%   /   40%

Total Grain (lb):   6.0      

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:         
CaSO4:                   0.5   /   0.6
CaCl2:                   1.2   /   1.4
MgSO4:                     0   /   0
NaHCO3:                   0   /   0
CaCO3:                   0   /   0
Lactic Acid (ml):   0.1      
Sauermalz (oz):   0      

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):         
Ca:   84   /   84
Mg:   12   /   12
Na:   16   /   16
Cl:   69   /   69
SO4:   50   /   50
Cl to SO4 Ratio:   1.39   /   1.39

Alkalinity (CaCO3):   117   
RA:   50   
Estimated pH:   5.63   Actual was 5.44
(room temp)   

Sparge PH 7.35 room temp. Ya thats high but my preboil PH was 5.52 and post boil was 5.6. all at room temp.   

Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs 0.5 oz   Total Hops: 1.10 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.44
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4 lbs 13.2 oz         Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.5 SRM)        Grain         1        80.0 %       
1 lbs 0.9 oz          Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)            Grain         2        17.5 %       
2.4 oz                Caraaroma (150.0 SRM)                    Grain         3        2.5 %         

Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 2.64 gal of water at 166.9 F        152.0 F       60 min       

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 65.0 F/68.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 2.99 gal water at 168.0 F
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
0.85 oz               Hallertauer [4.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 m Hop           4        22.4 IBUs     

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.039 SG   Est OG: 1.051 SG
0.25 oz               Tettnang [3.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           5        1.9 IBUs     

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Trub and PH?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 01:41:09 pm »
I've never seen it happen and I can't think of any reason why it should.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 07:06:19 pm »
I don't know of a reason why trub would affect pH either. However, I'm wondering how you are predicting the pH?  There are some methods that are better than others.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:02:57 pm »
I use EZ water calculator spreedsheet 3.0. Thats all i have ever used and am comfortable with it. That being said i am consistently off by a few tenths of a point. I assume it's because of my limited knowledge of RA and Alkalinity. I was hoping for some sort of Excel spreed sheet that would allow me to be dead on most of the time but i can see through practical application that Mash PH is a dynamic system and requires further "experimentation" on my end.

Thanks for the continued feedback on my multiple water ?s. It's much appreciated and helps me wrap my pea brain around it. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:55:24 am »
I use EZ water calculator spreedsheet 3.0. Thats all i have ever used and am comfortable with it. That being said i am consistently off by a few tenths of a point. I assume it's because of my limited knowledge of RA and Alkalinity. I was hoping for some sort of Excel spreed sheet that would allow me to be dead on most of the time but i can see through practical application that Mash PH is a dynamic system and requires further "experimentation" on my end.

Thanks for the continued feedback on my multiple water ?s. It's much appreciated and helps me wrap my pea brain around it.

That might be the problem.  I found EZWater to be pretty inaccurate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell