Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ft. Collins for the holidays  (Read 4912 times)

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: Ft. Collins for the holidays
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 04:31:29 pm »
Close to funkworks is FCB, Fort Collins brewery.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 08:04:30 am »
Yeah Fort Collins Brewery is really close to Odell….a short walk east.  They offer some solid beer.  your AHA card for sure will come in handy. 

If you are looking for a beer bars check out The Mayor of Old Town, Tap & Handle and Choice City. 

Cheers and have fun! 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 09:40:20 am »
Fort Collins Brewing doesn't seem to get a lot of love but they make some really solid beers. Most of their regular line up are classic American craft styles but they do some really good and contemporary seasonal and one offs. There is both a tap room and a restaurant on site. Go to the restaurant, it usually has some beers on tap that aren't available anywhere else. After you eat and drink then check into the tap room and fill up on anything you couldn't get in the restaurant.

I am also a big fan of Funkwerks, Odell and NB up there.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 06:23:20 pm »
When we were out there in FCB during GABF they had a rauchbier called out of the ashes. Probably the best smoked beer I've had. And I've had schlenkirla.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 06:29:39 pm »
Fort Collins Brewing doesn't seem to get a lot of love but they make some really solid beers.

+2.  Interesting that such a good brewery can get so drowned out and out marketed....in an area saturated with good beer.

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 08:46:53 pm »
When we were out there in FCB during GABF they had a rauchbier called out of the ashes. Probably the best smoked beer I've had. And I've had schlenkirla.

I don't know what their secret is but they make some top notch smoked beers. Last year I believe they took gold in the smoked category at GABF for a beer called Bamburg that tasted exactly liked smoked ham. It was incredible. Well earned medal for sure.

cornershot

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
Well the Ft Collins beer scene was great for the most part. New Belgium, Odell, Funkwerks, and Equinox were all wonderful. I didn't love every beer but most were outstanding.
Fort Collins brewing had good beers but I was a bit put off by the prices at the restaurant/tasting room. $8 for a 10 ounce(non specialty) sample and $5 for a mouthful of french fries was just silly.
Also of note was Coopersmiths. Good beer and food.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 08:53:52 am »
Dang they must have just recently raised prices because I don't remember it being that expensive when I was there over the summer. I seem to recall $8 for 10oz pours but only on their special restaurant/taproom only stuff.

cornershot

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 06:14:04 pm »
I also stopped in Breckenridge brewing co. for a couple pints and I tried a zwickel. The description of the beer was: a pale, unfiltered lager. Well it tasted very smoky. I'm not a big fan of smoked beers but I can appreciate a good one. I couldn't finish it. The bartender said it was supposed to be smoky. I wonder if it was infected. Worst commercial beer I've ever had.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 07:04:14 am »
I also stopped in Breckenridge brewing co. <snip> Worst commercial beer I've ever had.

Yep.  I bet a lot of people have said that.  I have speculated that they only stay in business because of the out of state ski tourist crowd.