Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend 1/4/2014?  (Read 5942 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend 1/4/2014?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, 10:12:10 am »
Doing my first all grain today. Getting set up for BIAB to do the Scottish 80/s from Northern Brewer. Also my first attempt at water corrections with my RO water supply.

Seems like a big step to me, wish me luck!

Good luck indeed. First ag brew day is an exciting day.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 10:12:51 am »
No brewing for me for at least a couple of weeks, but I have some bottling in my future. Got an oatmeal stout up first. And as soon as my LHBS/hardware store gets more 187mL bottles in I have a strawberry mead, a cyser and some maple wine that needs to be bottled as well.

Oh man I'm so curious about that maple wine
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 11:55:14 am »

Today it's going to get up to 60 so I'm going to feed the hop plants some compost and set up the garden for next year. Tomorrow it's going to get cold so it will be a nice long lambic brew day. Good weather to cool beer outdoors.

Texas weather. The only place where summer and winter can occur in the same week.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 12:30:29 pm »
Got in a brew a couple days ago before the multi-day string of sub-zero temps hits. Brewed 11 gallons of ESB, half traditional, and after pulling that half through the chiller, added 4 oz of Mosaic and whirlpooled for another 20 minutes. Both halves are fermenting with Wyeast West Yorkshire, the ESB at 68F, the Mosaic at 63F.
Mark Gres

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »
No brewing for me for at least a couple of weeks, but I have some bottling in my future. Got an oatmeal stout up first. And as soon as my LHBS/hardware store gets more 187mL bottles in I have a strawberry mead, a cyser and some maple wine that needs to be bottled as well.

Long story short: it finished way too sweet for my tastes and all my attempts to dry it out failed. I let it sit in my upstairs closet for a year and forgot about it. This fall I needed the carboy and I tasted it one last time before I dumped it. Something magical happened and it was now like a fine sherry. Now I have an awesome maple wine and a new better bottle :)

Once I can take proper tasting notes I'll update the thread I started last year with all the details.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2014, 04:39:02 pm »

Long story short: it finished way too sweet for my tastes and all my attempts to dry it out failed. I let it sit in my upstairs closet for a year and forgot about it. This fall I needed the carboy and I tasted it one last time before I dumped it. Something magical happened and it was now like a fine sherry. Now I have an awesome maple wine and a new better bottle :)

Once I can take proper tasting notes I'll update the thread I started last year with all the details.

That sounds so damn good.  I've made a couple maple stouts and used a small amount in a barleywine that came out nice. Kudos.
Jon H.