Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beers planned for 2014  (Read 7095 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Beers planned for 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 03:40:33 pm »
FINALLY got a hold on some ECY, so funky stuff is on the horizon  ;D
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »
On deck is a Red Lager, using the yeast slurry from my Munich Dunkel. Then it'll be an IPA, followed by a Belgian Quad.
Ron Price

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:31 am »
Bought grains and water for tomorrow. Going 4% kolsch with nelson sauvin. Figure if I have everything I need, I am more likely to brew. With playoffs starting, I can waste a day off.

As far as the rest of the year,

- barleywine. Was my next scheduled brew, but 2 hour boil + 60 min second runnings boil with one kettle isn't going to happen the New Year's Day.

- small sasion

- med sasion

- big sasion with brett

- double IPA

- hoppy brown along the lines of McDole's

- Denny's rye

- cal common

- whole bunch of 12 pack batches of single hop saison.

- Berliner when the temperature gets back up near 100°

Plus a rotation of west coast pales, English pales, stouts, and kolsch(es?) to keep the keezer full.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 04:56:35 pm »
I'm uncharacteristically unprepared for my next few brews. Usually I'm planned out a few months in advance. Between the short holiday season, not having my work schedule, and not knowing whether I'd get to brew any lagers this year, I've been in a bit of a holding pattern with brewing.

Now that the holidays are over and I have my chest freezer, I've been able to start planning. Here's what I have planned for the winter/spring:

Dunkel>Marzen>Dopplebock with WY2633
Motueka Pils with WY2278
Hibiscus Saison
ESB>Barleywine with either WLP002 or WY1469
A batch of single-hopped beers using the experimental varieties I have
Pink IPA
IPA aged on Red Zin soaked oak cubes
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 06:07:15 pm »
Brewing an Am. Amber on New Year's Day then a German Pilsner on Sunday assuming my starter is ready.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »
My beers on deck are a Helles, a German Pils, and a Barleywine. The yeast when ready, will decide which I do first.
I
Helles it is. The yeasts look like they will be ready for tomorrow. I am splitting the batch 3 ways. Using WLP 860, 835, and 833. Want to see which one shines in a Helles.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »
Just got the yeast today for a HUGE American IPA set for this weekend. First beer of the year, and first time using my new pump and Hop Rocket, and my new silicone hoses and cam-locks. Mop is at the ready...
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2013, 09:22:26 pm »
Just got the yeast today for a HUGE American IPA set for this weekend. First beer of the year, and first time using my new pump and Hop Rocket, and my new silicone hoses and cam-locks. Mop is at the ready...
Mops and buckets are often overlooked as to their importance.  :)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 10:40:23 pm »
I had hoped to brew on the 1st but some travel and visits to see family took priority.  That was all good as there was much quaffing and quality family hang time involved!   So an English Pale Ale brew is scheduled for Friday.  Then on down the list I will go.  Pretty much every two to three weeks.  I may have to sneak another APA or IPA in there.  At some point after these I want to try brewing some Belgian Ales mixed in with the usual EPA/APA/IPA/Porter I like to regularly have on tap.  I haven't brewed a Classic American Pilsner before.  I hope to have a beer like this as one of my regulars....

English Pale Ale - EKG
West Coast IPA
Imperial Stout to age in an Apple Brandy barrel.
Amarillo/Citra APA
London Porter (using brown malt)
Old Ale
Classic American Pilsner
American Wheat (This is really an APA with 25% red wheat. It's my obligatory summer wheat brew).

Enjoy the day!  Happy brewing in 2014!
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 10:25:29 am »
I have been building lager starters (WY2308 Munich and WY2001 Urquell) for the last couple of weeks.  They weren't ready yesterday for New Year's Day brewing, but will be this weekend.  I have been brewing 10 gallon batches as of late, and splitting them into two fermentors with two different kinds of yeast. 

I think a hoppy pilsner first, followed by mai-bock, and finishing either with baltic porter or a big triple bock with the lagers.  Next up it is time for Belgians (WLP500 and WLP575).  I want to start with a hoppy pale Belgian like Bink, then go from there. 

With 4 weeks each in the primaries, I will stagger lager and Belgian ale brewing sessions every two weeks until March.  Then I will get into some British bitters and American IPAs for the summer. When it warms up, a couple of saisons will also be in the queue.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 11:44:48 am »
I don't usually plan my beers out that far in advance. It's usually what I'm feeling or what I think will be good in a month or so. I plan to do a Maibock, then a brown ale. But it could change at any time. It's too cool in my house for Wy1469 to properly attenuate I think (which is what I have for harvested ale yeast). Can't raise it to 68. Which makes me think I should be brewing more lagers and steam/hybrid beers.
Jesse

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 11:56:01 am »
I don't usually plan my beers out that far in advance. It's usually what I'm feeling or what I think will be good in a month or so. I plan to do a Maibock, then a brown ale. But it could change at any time. It's too cool in my house for Wy1469 to properly attenuate I think (which is what I have for harvested ale yeast). Can't raise it to 68. Which makes me think I should be brewing more lagers and steam/hybrid beers.

I usually use 1469 around 60-62F, and it has always attenuated quite well, IME. I obviously don't know what your conditions are like, but thought I'd throw that out there.
Kyle M.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 02:37:13 pm »

I usually use 1469 around 60-62F, and it has always attenuated quite well, IME. I obviously don't know what your conditions are like, but thought I'd throw that out there.
Wow, I just don't get it. I aerated with pure O2, pitched a starter for one and harvested yeast for the other, mashed at 153...had a 1.044 bitter stop at 1.014 and a 1.065 IPA is currently at 1.021 after a week and a half. I'm perplexed. The only thing I can think of is the fact that it's a rather flocculent yeast and I can't get temps above about 64 right now.
Jesse

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 08:10:46 am »

Wow, I just don't get it. I aerated with pure O2, pitched a starter for one and harvested yeast for the other, mashed at 153...had a 1.044 bitter stop at 1.014 and a 1.065 IPA is currently at 1.021 after a week and a half. I'm perplexed. The only thing I can think of is the fact that it's a rather flocculent yeast and I can't get temps above about 64 right now.

Hmm, that is weird. I pretty much make the same gravity brews as you have made, and they always finish at 1.010 or lower, even at that lower temp. Looks like you would indeed need to wait for higher temps to see if that is the culprit.
Kyle M.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2014, 08:20:54 am »
The only thing of interest that I have planned is an all-bine-dried hop version of Dennys RIPA.
Yep...really want to experiment with the brown. ???