General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Final gravity and moutfeel

(1/5) > >>

troybinso:
If you check your final gravity with a hydrometer, then the reading describes the density of the beer, right? Does density correlate with mouthfeel? If so, imagine you have two beers, both finishing at 1.012, but one had a starting gravity of 1.045 and the other was 1.065. Would these beers basically have the same mouthfeel?

cornershot:
I would say that gravity is only part of it. Mouthfeel is affected by ingredients like oats, flaked barley, rye or differing amounts of hops as well as the degree of carbonation and probably much more.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

morticaixavier:
I don't think there is a significantly useful correlation between FG and mouthfeel except in nearly identical beers. As Al says there are many other factors contributing.

I have made saisons with an FG hovering right around 1 (sometimes under 1) that have great big rich mouthfeel and I've made Scottish 60/- with FG in the 1.010+ range that feel pretty thin.

Carbonation makes a huge difference as do other factors such as ingredients.

You can measure lots of stuff about your beer with instruments but the only instrument that really matters is your taste buds.

erockrph:
For two identical recipes that finish at different gravities, and are carbonated to the same level, then I'd imagine that there would be some correlation between mouthfeel and gravity. Otherwise, there are too many other factors at play. Mort's example of a Saison is a perfect example. WY3711 will finish in the low single digits, but has a remarkably full (but not heavy), juicy mouthfeel. Flaked barley or oats in a stout is another example of adding body without gravity points.

FG is really only useful information within the context of a particular recipe.

In The Sand:
+1 to all of the above, especially CO2 vols.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version