Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starbucks trademark  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Starbucks trademark
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:50:09 am »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Stevie

Re: Starbucks trademark
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:24:02 am »
They have to protect their trademark or they will lose it. He is just looking for attention.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:53 am »
They have to protect their trademark or they will lose it. He is just looking for attention.
Yes and yes.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »

that does not make it any less funny. 
Don AHA member

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:00:45 pm »
I like that he gave them all the profits. Classic!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 03:55:23 pm »
I thought it was well handled by the brewery. Starbucks did what the Starbucks of the world do and that's cool. He 100% complied with the order and even went above and beyond in sending back the profit. and got some cheap press out of the deal.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 04:26:22 pm »
I suspect it was done on purpose for the free publicity. It's not the first time we've seen this exact story.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »
I suspect it was done on purpose for the free publicity. It's not the first time we've seen this exact story.

For those thinking that it was all done for publicity, you don't know Jeff.

Exit 6 is the brewery right now the street from my mom's house in St. Louis and is the "family watering hole".

The owner, Jeff, is a former homebrew club president who left his post when he opened this place. It is his only source of income and he works 100-120 hours a week. He is brash, cocky and totally enjoyable. Knowing the man, I would expect nothing else from him, and am very happy that the little brewery down the street has gotten some free publicity.

The beer in question is now called "The F Word" and really is quite delicious.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »

For those thinking that it was all done for publicity, you don't know Jeff.

Exit 6 is the brewery right now the street from my mom's house in St. Louis and is the "family watering hole".

The owner, Jeff, is a former homebrew club president who left his post when he opened this place. It is his only source of income and he works 100-120 hours a week. He is brash, cocky and totally enjoyable. Knowing the man, I would expect nothing else from him, and am very happy that the little brewery down the street has gotten some free publicity.

The beer in question is now called "The F Word" and really is quite delicious.

Well, I meant no disrespect to Jeff.  And I would probably try to do the same thing if I had my own business and the opportunity came up.  I just see this exact story every 2 or 3 months and I wonder when it will stop working as a publicity grab. If he didn't want the publicity he would have complied and not published the letter. Again, I'm not trying to imply he did a bad thing, I was just stating my guess as to the motives. (sorry, motive has a negative connotation, as in motive for a crime, I just can't think of a more appropriate word right now)
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:24:35 am »
I don't know. Frappuccino is one of those words that has entered the jargon like crock pot. As I read the story it was not even a single beer but a sort of black and tan and the customers said it rated like a frappuccino.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 08:58:36 am »
The battle for jerk of the month going on in the comments was more entertaining than the article to me.  All the people making statements that start with "I'm a lawyer" seem like folks who didn't pay attention in class.  I have many friends who a lawyers, judges and law professors who always say you never get involved if you are aren't needed (i.e. paid).  For the record: IANAL   ;D

Oh well, the response was funny enough and he got his 15 minutes of fame.  Starbucks protected its trademark, as it should have and he still sells beer.  Sounds like it worked out fine.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:56 pm »
As I read the story it was not even a single beer but a sort of black and tan and the customers said it rated like a frappuccino.

Indeed. It's a 50/50 blend of a collaboration between him and the chocolate bar down the street and his Vanilla Cream Ale.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:32:55 am »
I don't know. Frappuccino is one of those words that has entered the jargon like crock pot. As I read the story it was not even a single beer but a sort of black and tan and the customers said it rated like a frappuccino.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
This actually makes me understand a little more why companies must go after this kind of infringement.  Frappacino is on the edge of becoming a common word. I'm certain nobody ordered a beer thinking it was coffee, and I doubt anybody thought it was a collaboration of any sort. But their use does make the term more commonplace.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:21:50 am »
The battle for jerk of the month going on in the comments was more entertaining than the article to me.  All the people making statements that start with "I'm a lawyer" seem like folks who didn't pay attention in class.  I have many friends who a lawyers, judges and law professors who always say you never get involved if you are aren't needed (i.e. paid).  For the record: IANAL   ;D

I'm a lawyer and sometimes we can't help ourselves.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 11:44:19 am »