Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Snow Day?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
A Snow Day?
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:38:56 pm »
You know it's been a pretty good winter storm when the hospital you work at basically closes, except for a tiny skeleton crew.  So I basically have a snow day tomorrow. We got a foot of snow in ~ 8 or 9 hours today.  Heaviest snowfall I've ever seen -blizzard conditions.  And to make things worse wind chills are to be -40F to
-50F tomorrow, drifting like a mother. Makes you wanna do a shot.......perfect idea.     ;)
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: A Snow Day?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:55:05 pm »
same here :D I have tomorrow off and possibly Tuesday. Good thing I have DIPA and Imperial Stout on tap for the sub zero temps.
Dan Chisholm

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:00:23 pm »
What's a snow day? (it was 83 here today)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:01:12 am »
I'm still waiting to see what the conditions are across the county. I'm at the foot of a mountain forest and back in here it is iced in. No word yet if rest of county is like that or not. I really hop not because I can't afford to take a snow day today. That said, would be fun for kids if they got to have one.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:01:11 am »
Lucky! :-*

For weeks now
I have had nothing to eat
except hoar.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:57:23 am »
Well, schools open so I'm heading in (albeit on a 2 hour delay for all of us). One 11 year old is rather upset school is not shut completely. 2 hour delay be damned.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:18:17 am »
You know it's been a pretty good winter storm when the hospital you work at basically closes, except for a tiny skeleton crew.  So I basically have a snow day tomorrow. We got a foot of snow in ~ 8 or 9 hours today.  Heaviest snowfall I've ever seen -blizzard conditions.  And to make things worse wind chills are to be -40F to
-50F tomorrow, drifting like a mother. Makes you wanna do a shot.......perfect idea.     ;)
I was a little surprised when I was watching the game this weekend and they showed shots of the city and there was no snow.  I really expected Indy to have snow on the ground.  A foot of snow around here is just a storm...do you not get a lot of snow in Indy usually?

What's a snow day? (it was 83 here today)
Well, if you MIT guys would get together and build an environmental control system, we could all be sitting in 83F weather  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:23:52 am »
I was a little surprised when I was watching the game this weekend and they showed shots of the city and there was no snow.  I really expected Indy to have snow on the ground.  A foot of snow around here is just a storm...do you not get a lot of snow in Indy usually?

Yeah, there was just a dusting at game time. The dump came on Sunday. It looks a little different now. The Mayor closed the City to all non-emergency traffic. I guess I'm not going to work.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 08:14:58 am »
I'm just outside of Chicago, and I don't know of any schools that are open today in the area. It's currently -18°F with a wind chill of -Hoth°F. So it's a snow day, but nobody is going outside to play in the snow. Our power went out briefly this morning too. After that little scare, I vow to never freak out again when we lose power in the middle of summer.
Mark Gres

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:08 am »
I'm just outside of Chicago, and I don't know of any schools that are open today in the area. It's currently -18°F with a wind chill of -Hoth°F. So it's a snow day, but nobody is going outside to play in the snow. Our power went out briefly this morning too. After that little scare, I vow to never freak out again when we lose power in the middle of summer.

Everything is closed, except for my office apparently.

Good thing I have DIPA and Imperial Stout on tap for the sub zero temps.

After shoveling for the 2nd time yesterday I cracked open an Expedition Stout.  Then I took a nap.  'Twas quite enjoyable.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:21 am »

Sure, we get snow in Indy.  Not normal to get a foot in an afternoon, followed by -40F winds around here though.   ;)
Jon H.