Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Calling Cider Apple Experts/Growers  (Read 5925 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Calling Cider Apple Experts/Growers
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 04:36:01 pm »
That book is by the same Annie Proulx that wrote "The Shipping News" and "Brokeback Mountain".  Her books of Wyoming stories are good reads, but none of the stories have happy endings.
I thought the cider book was just ok.  I thought "The Shipping News" was one of the worst books I've ever read in my life.  It is best described as a book where nothing happens to a bunch of people you don't like.  It sucked.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 05:30:11 pm »
That book is by the same Annie Proulx that wrote "The Shipping News" and "Brokeback Mountain".  Her books of Wyoming stories are good reads, but none of the stories have happy endings.
I thought the cider book was just ok.  I thought "The Shipping News" was one of the worst books I've ever read in my life.  It is best described as a book where nothing happens to a bunch of people you don't like.  It sucked.
Hey, I never read that one, either, so I take your word for it. I did like the Wyoming stories, those are compiled in 3 books.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 07:50:24 pm »
I don't have a heck of a lot to add, other than that Farnum Hill makes a single varietal Kingston Black cider that I really enjoy. It is my only real experience with a single-varietal cider, and from what I understand there aren't a lot of varietals that are suitable for doing this with.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 07:56:22 pm »
I think Beekeeping would be fun:)  Anyway, ive read the Proulx Book as well but found this one http://www.amazon.com/Cider-Hard-Sweet-History-Traditions-ebook/dp/B00BPDA010/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387421678&sr=8-1&keywords=Cider+hard+and+sweet a bit better and user friendly.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 12:48:02 pm »
I don't have a heck of a lot to add, other than that Farnum Hill makes a single varietal Kingston Black cider that I really enjoy. It is my only real experience with a single-varietal cider, and from what I understand there aren't a lot of varietals that are suitable for doing this with.

This is what I have found in text as well. I've been pursuing around online trying to find a single bottle of the Kingston Black, but can't bring myself to pay $40 with shipping to try it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »

This is what I have found in text as well. I've been pursuing around online trying to find a single bottle of the Kingston Black, but can't bring myself to pay $40 with shipping to try it.
I might be able to get it over Christmas. We could do a trade.

Sent from a parallel dimension where beer is made from unicorn tears

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 06:44:01 am »

I might be able to get it over Christmas. We could do a trade.

Sent from a parallel dimension where beer is made from unicorn tears

Oh really? I'm in for this. What would you like from the MO/KS area?
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 12:48:56 am »
I don't have any experience in actually making cider other than dumping a couple gallons of Louisburg cider into an old Mr. beer fermenter and pitching some ESB yeast on it only to let it sit there for too long because I was lazy and it got bad. I have had some good cider experiences recently.

I have a friend who gave me some Crispin cider which may get a bad rap because they are owned by Miller-Coors.  It was called Browns Lane and I believe it was imported from England. I was very skeptical but as soon as I tried it I noticed it was dry and finished with a nice touch of Brett which actually made it taste like hard cider instead of some apple beer.  I couldn't believe it.  It's been hard to find at some of the local good beer stores but the larger ones tend to carry it.  Being owned by Miller I expected it to be easier to find but most good beer stores only carry bad examples of cider so I've had to go to the large good beer stores in order to find it.

Also, about a month ago I listened to an episode of The Sunday Session on The Brewing Network in which they interviewed Drew Beechum Who gave some good suggestions on how to select apple varieties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian
mobrewer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
Crispin Browns Lane is the single best widely available traditional cider you can get in the USA.  Similar to Magners which is a Scottish import.  If you haven't tried either of those... you NEED to!!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.