Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: balancing higher gravity beers  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
balancing higher gravity beers
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:27:36 am »
Hey Guys. Looking for some pointers regarding IBUs for higher OG beers. I am planning on doing small batch "double" versions of some of my regular beers with OGs around 1.080 and finishing ABV around 8-8.5%.

When balancing the bitterness should I just follow the IBU:OG from the normal recipes? For example, I am planning to do a double version of my Blonde which has a IBU:OG of 0.4. When adpating that to a higher OG of 1.077 I would get a bitterness level of 32 IBUs or so. I am basically taking the same hop additions and just increasing them to the same ratio. Does this seem appropriate? Any advice would be much appreciated since I have little experience brewing higher OG beers.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: balancing higher gravity beers
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:53:57 am »
Seems like a good guess.  You won't really know what you like til you brew it.  It may take a couple times to get it right.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:25 am »
I think you would be fine with that method. I'm not sure what software you use, but just think about how many IBU's that you want in the beer and add hops at the addition times to match your target overall IBU's. Of course, after you make a few let your own taste decide what adjustments need to be made.
Dan Chisholm

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:58:37 am »
It depends on the style. A Doppelbock at that OG would be fine, a Barleywine would need a lot more bitterness.

Sierra Nevada Pale ale has 38 IBU at 5.6 ABV, 1.053 OG. That has some crystal malt, and my be more bitter than you want.

Do some research, brew the beer, takes notes so you can adjust next time. There may be some similar beer recipes on the net.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 12:05:48 pm »
Thanks guys.

Yeah looks like I will just have to give a shot and adjust accordingly. None of the beers are traditional high gravity styles so I kind of need to wing it I suppose.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:20:32 pm »
Good advice from all.  I usually use the same BU:GU for the 1st try and then adjust from there. Like Jeff said, when you make an American barleywine for example, you have to come way up on hops though - it takes alot to overcome that maltiness and still have a big hop presence.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:51:16 pm »
I generally use the BU:OG ratio as a starting up point myself as well. One other trick is to compare to a similar style in a similar gravity range. For example, your imperial blonde would probably be in the same ballpark as a tripel. But as others said, this is just a ballpark estimate that you'll probably need to dial in further.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer