Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12g of Skotrat Traquair wee heavy - yeast starter size?  (Read 3540 times)

fistfullofhops

12g of Skotrat Traquair wee heavy - yeast starter size?
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:36:56 pm »
Gearing up for a 12g batch of this beer. The original recipe calls for a 1/2g starter at high Krausen with Wyeast 1728. I made a 1g starter the old fashioned way (not stirred) that just finished. It's going to be a week before I brew this beer so I have some time. I'm thinking about decanting and doing another gallon starter.

Alternatively, I have an IPA finishing up on Wyeast 1450 so I'll have a cake available to pitch on but I'm not convinced this strain would be a good fit for a wee heavy.

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: 12g of Skotrat Traquair wee heavy - yeast starter size?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:06:28 am »
I suppose if you want exactly like the recipe beer you'd have to do exactly like the recipe.

Obviously that's not a worry. So what is the expected OG? A half gallon starter seems small for a 12 gallon big beer.
Pitching at high krausen makes sense under the theory of having them all fired up and ready to go. But I think proper amount is more important personally.

Guessing your OG at 1.080 with 12 gallons, using 1 week old activators, i think you'd need 14 liters of starter and two activators.

So decanting your starter and repitching to a new gallon might get you part of the way there. Maybe try a 2 gallon second step?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 03:14:59 pm »
Maybe its just me, but I'd rather brew a batch of session beer to step up my yeast rather than make a starter, especially when the starter needs to be this big. It kills me to think of dumping a case worth of beer when you could be drinking it instead.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 03:28:59 pm »
Fully agree. To my way of thinking they are all technically starters but I only call them starters if I plan to dump them. I only dump 2,000ml with no hops.

If I were doing a Wee Heavy but didn't have the pitch, I would do a 2000ml starter, then a 5 gallon 60 bob, then the WH.

fistfullofhops

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:38:41 pm »
The plan is to re-pitch for most of my beers but I'm still getting my process up and running so I don't have a good yeast stock yet. I'm in no hurry to brew the WH so I will probably take your advice and do a session beer first.

Here's the recipe. I'm using Marris Otter instead of Golden Promise.

Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1/2 US gallon at High Krausen
Batch Size: 11 US Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.020
Alcohol Content: 8.64 %
Total Grains: 32.79 US Pounds
Color: 12-22 (depending on carmelization)
Extract Efficiency: 75 %
Hop IBU's: 28.6
Boiling Time: 2 hours
Primary Fermentation: 10 days @ 62f
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days @ 58f
Additional Fermentation: 2 months in brite tanks @ 45f

Grain Bill:

32.48 lb. Scottish Malting GOLDEN PROMISE PALE ALE 2 ROW (99%)
.31 lb. Roast Barley (1%)

Hop Bill:

1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 45 min
1.57 oz. N. BREWER 6.9% 35 min

Mash Schedule:

Single Step Mash:

90 minutes @ 154
10 minutes @ 168

Brewers Notes:

Yeast: WYEAST Scottish Ale

1728 Scottish Ale
Rich, smokey, peaty character ideally suited
for scottish style ales, smoked beers and
high gravity ales. Flocculation - high;
apparent attenuation - 69-73%. (55-70°F)

Notes:

Remove two gallons of first runnings and Carmelize it (boil down to about 1 pint and add back to boil). This will give the richer taste that you find in this finebeer.

Collect 15 gallons of Run-off and boil down to your 10 1/2 gallon target (the other 1/2 gallon will come from the 1/2 gallon starter of yeast slurry that you have made in advance).

Add 2-3 teaspoons of Irish Moss into the boil just because.

Traquair is the finest of all Scottish Ales. Their recipe is pretty easy and straight forward. 99% Pale Ale Malt, 1% Roasted Barley and 25-37 IBU's.

I have found this to be the common thread for this brew after reviewing about 30-40 recipes from Homebrewers that have cloned this brew.

About 1/2 of the recipes claimed that Traquair uses East Kent Goldings as the hop and the Other claim that Northern Brewer is the Hop.

I chose Northern Brewer because I am very fond of them as base hops.

fistfullofhops

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:23:51 am »

Fully agree. To my way of thinking they are all technically starters but I only call them starters if I plan to dump them. I only dump 2,000ml with no hops.

If I were doing a Wee Heavy but didn't have the pitch, I would do a 2000ml starter, then a 5 gallon 60 bob, then the WH.

What's a 60 bob?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:42:48 am »

What's a 60 bob?

60/- or 60 shilling. small/medium Scottish ale
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:39:42 pm »
Makes a nice beer, am drinking now from an October brewing.

They are pretty clear on the Traquair site that they use East Kent Goldings so I'd choose those if your aim is to make a traquair clone.

http://www.traquair.co.uk/traquair-house-brewery

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:08:58 pm »

What's a 60 bob?

60/- or 60 shilling. small/medium Scottish ale

Ya I was trying to be cute. Though I'm not sure a Scott would use "bob", might be more of a British thing.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:10:11 pm »
I have a 5G batch of Skotrat's clone going now.  I did a 60/- and repitched the whole cake.  I racked the 60/- to a keg while chilling the Wee Heavy.  It didn't take long to ferment the 60/- so I'd do that rather than a starter.

FWIW, Skotrat's recipe calls for Northern Brewer. I remember seeing something where he gave his beer to the owners of Traquair who were impressed.  The hops are mainly for bittering so it may not matter if they really used EKG.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 05:30:32 am »

FWIW, Skotrat's recipe calls for Northern Brewer. I remember seeing something where he gave his beer to the owners of Traquair who were impressed.  The hops are mainly for bittering so it may not matter if they really used EKG.

+1.  There's pretty much zero late hop character in that beer, so I don't know why it would matter. 
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 08:35:32 am »
Brew it as it is written, fantastic beer even if you use EKG.  ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

fistfullofhops

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:08:38 pm »
Nice to hear folks are still brewing this recipe. I have a session beer planned for next week in preparation.

I'm doing a big batch of B52 as well. I always wanted to brew this beer but never got around to it.

I can't wait to drink both of them!