Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the best hangover cure?  (Read 10374 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: What's the best hangover cure?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 10:02:51 am »
this from a guy that learned to fall asleep with my eyes open so I didn't get the spins.

Brings to mind two of my favorite Dean Martin quotes:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
"If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt."

And Major, I'm sure your southern accent imitation sounds reeeal gooood to all of your yankee friends' mothers  (everyone else cringes).  ;D

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:00 am »
Appropriate topic as I had a tremendous hangover yesterday. And almost always never have one like this which I attribute to a lack of booze-mop and over-consumption. My fault for letting the bartender pour me such large drinks... Took me out for the whole damn day and was in bed before 9pm and no supper.

The cure?

I was going to say bong-hits, coffee and water. Vitamin pill. And a shower followed by greasy food.

BING! We have a winner.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 11:05:49 am »

...and this from a guy that learned to fall asleep with my eyes open so I didn't get the spins. (best way in the world to freak out a girlfriend by the way)

I have two remedies for the spins

1 - sleep on the bathroom floor or in the tub. Outside on the concrete works as well.

2 - if I am able to get to bed, one hand on the wall above my head, and the opposite foot on the floor.

cornershot

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:31 pm »
Appropriate topic as I had a tremendous hangover yesterday. And almost always never have one like this which I attribute to a lack of booze-mop and over-consumption. My fault for letting the bartender pour me such large drinks... Took me out for the whole damn day and was in bed before 9pm and no supper.

The cure?

I was going to say bong-hits, coffee and water. Vitamin pill. And a shower followed by greasy food.

BING! We have a winner.
+420

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 12:22:43 pm »

The cure?

BING! We have a winner.
+420

+1 to +420    :)
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 01:28:46 pm »

The cure?

BING! We have a winner.
+420

+1 to +420    :)

kind of makes the news out of Colorado particularly apt no? not a bad place to have overindulged on NYE!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 03:52:45 pm »

And Major, I'm sure your southern accent imitation sounds reeeal gooood to all of your yankee friends' mothers  (everyone else cringes).  ;D

That's not true. This comes directly from my wife who used to cringe when I tried but now admits that I have it dialed in purdy dern close.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 08:42:18 pm »

That's not true. This comes directly from my wife who used to cringe when I tried but now admits that I have it dialed in purdy dern close.

Naw, she's just developed palate hearing fatigue.   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 10:21:20 pm »
Accents make me horny. I'm glad this is text not voice.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 09:10:03 pm »
Best hangover cure is to prevent one. Before you drink, during and after, pop vitamin B complex, and drink plenty of water. I have another friend who swears by this. Its never let her or I down. Last weekend, I may or may not,  have had a lady guest here for the night. I kept pushing B's and water down her. The next morning, she was amazed at the lack of hangover. A slight headache. I gave some advil and more water, and she was go to go.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 06:16:47 am »
Best hangover cure is to prevent one. Before you drink, during and after, pop vitamin B complex, and drink plenty of water. I have another friend who swears by this. Its never let her or I down. Last weekend, I may or may not,  have had a lady guest here for the night. I kept pushing B's and water down her. The next morning, she was amazed at the lack of hangover. A slight headache. I gave some advil and more water, and she was go to go.

+1 to B-complex and water.  Makes a big difference.
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:29 am »
this from a guy that learned to fall asleep with my eyes open so I didn't get the spins.

Brings to mind two of my favorite Dean Martin quotes:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
"If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt."

Deano had some great lines.  I have heard that all he ever had in his glass on stage was colored water.  He was an alcoholic and could let himself have anything with alcohol to drink or he would fall off the wagon.  He was the only sober one in the theater every night.

Eating a banana and taking ibuprofen with several glasses of water before turning in will put a major dent in a hangover.

If you've never had a hangover from homebrew, you obviously have not had occasion to consume enough in one outing.   8)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:28 am »
Anybody from the southwest knows that hot green chile kicks hangover butt in no time.  We used to go to a little cafe in the morning and get a $2.00 bowl of green chile stew-lots of green chile, a couple of beans and a small morsel of pork and by the time we got back to the house all the alcohol was sweated out and we felt great.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 10:08:34 am »
Anybody from the southwest knows that hot green chile kicks hangover butt in no time.  We used to go to a little cafe in the morning and get a $2.00 bowl of green chile stew-lots of green chile, a couple of beans and a small morsel of pork and by the time we got back to the house all the alcohol was sweated out and we felt great.

In Texas jalapeno is a suitable substitute for green chile.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:43 am »
Should've added the chile to my hangover remedy - I eat something smoking hot the morning after, along with B complex and lots o' water.
Jon H.