Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC shipping. The adressee gives it all away!  (Read 3511 times)

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
NHC shipping. The adressee gives it all away!
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:16:32 am »
So I am scrambling to get my entries out the door.  One problem I see is this.  I am shipping to Northeast regional comp. and the address is a dead give away of the contents!  I have shipped beer by UPS before but never had the address clearly state HOMEBREW on it!  I am picturing the transaction this evening...

"Contents of the package?"

"Gifts of homemade maple syrup."

"Umm, it says here on the label Home Sweet HOMEBREW, is there beer in here sir?"

"Uhhh..."

Anybody have any tips?  Yes I have heard all the "yeast samples" and similar stories folks use.  I find those get you into worse trouble.  Then questions of biological "contaminants" and such come up.  Glass makes them freak out too.  Perfume and other liquids are apparently a no no as well, as I was warned when skirming with what to say the first time I shipped some beer.

Why does the address have to be so blatant?
Dave Brush

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: NHC shipping. The adressee gives it all away!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:25:24 am »
Just put "Home Sweet HomeB" on it.  It'll still get there
Joe

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:28:16 am »
Why so worried? As long as you aren't shipping USPS (postal service), you are NOT breaking a law. You may be skirting a policy, but IMO just setup an account with UPS or FedEx, print your own label and drop that puppy off with anyone, preferably some kid behind the counter. If you have already labeled the box with their label, no questions at all will be asked. If anyone does ask, just tell them they are yeast samples to be evaluated. If they won't accept the package, go somewhere else.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:46:34 am »
I've shipped several from with UPS that have said Homebrew Competition on them and not had any problems.  I do my shipping label online and bring them to work for the UPS guy to pick up.  You could also drop them in a UPS Dropbox if you do your label online.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:03:29 am »
yeah, I don't see the big deal.  I brought an entry to UPS that was for the Sam Adams competition.  The UPS employee said, "Cool, you make your own beer.  Good luck in the competition". 

narvin

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:36:16 am »
Just pay and print the label online.  They won't ask you anything or even look at the label when you drop the box off at a UPS store.

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:10:11 am »
How do you print a label and pay online without a business account?

Where I live there is only one place to ship UPS and that is at the UPS center.  There is a drop box but it only takes small packages.  We have no UPS stores or third party drop-off places up here.

Why am I worried?  Because they will refuse to ship it if they don't like my answers, then...  Outta luck as I don't have other options.

I tend to have more trouble with "the kid behind the counter".  The college students who work there tend to be more nervous and anal about there jobs in my past experiences.

I guess I will try to figure out printing it online.  I thought you needed to be a business and have an account to do that.
Dave Brush

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:23:18 am »
Online where is says "My UPS" you can register for an account and pay by credit card.

Where in the NE Kingdom are you?  There must be bigger drop boxes in St. Johnsbury.  Sucks if it's a big drive but at least your beer will get there ( hopefully ).

what style(s) are you entering?  I'm beginning to wonder if I should be offering help :)
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 08:31:14 am »
Online where is says "My UPS" you can register for an account and pay by credit card.

Where in the NE Kingdom are you?  There must be bigger drop boxes in St. Johnsbury.  Sucks if it's a big drive but at least your beer will get there ( hopefully ).

what style(s) are you entering?  I'm beginning to wonder if I should be offering help :)

Hah!   ;D

I am in St. J. and the only box I know of is downtown and it seems to only be big enough for the flat rectangular boxes and padded envelopes.

I just go directly to the source up by Lyndonville.  Really a pain they are only open a couple of hours in the afternoon too.

Where are you at?

Best of luck.  This is my first entry in the nationals so I am not too confident.  Was not planning on doing so until my wife talked me into it at the last minute.  You've got nothing to worry about helping me out.   ;)
Dave Brush

boulderbrewer

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 08:52:34 am »
Tell them you made plaques for the winners. You do wood working don't you? ;)

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:02:27 am »

I am in St. J. and the only box I know of is downtown and it seems to only be big enough for the flat rectangular boxes and padded envelopes.

I just go directly to the source up by Lyndonville.  Really a pain they are only open a couple of hours in the afternoon too.

Where are you at?

Best of luck.  This is my first entry in the nationals so I am not too confident.  Was not planning on doing so until my wife talked me into it at the last minute.  You've got nothing to worry about helping me out.   ;)

I'm in Southern NH but grew up in Windsor, so i know all about small town living.
I sent my first entries to NHC last year, didn't advance but got some great feedback.
Maybe this year I can do better.  Good luck.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 10:48:23 am »
Hi Enso,

You might try shortening the address to Home Sweet HB.  I like the maple syrup answer.  Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
Janis Gross
NHC Director
janis@brewersassociation.org
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:45 pm »
  Do what I do when asked. Simply state that hey are samples, preserved in malt and hops. Gets me off the hook every time.  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 03:40:50 pm »
Thanks folks.  That went wicked smooth since I found out you can print your label ahead.

I walked in with the label showing.  Man grabbed it and said "All set?"

to which I replied "yup"

Package on its way, hopefully...   ::)

I did abbreviate the address as suggested earlier to Home Sweet HomeB.  Looks like I ran out of line space but should not raise eyebrows.  Of course, once it is in the system I don't think much gets scrutinized.  Certainly not by the gorillas, er I mean, package handlers...   :o  I only say that because I was one for a short time.  It is ugly what happens to those packages!  Course it isn't really the workers fault.  It is an insane, toxic (try working in a wharehouse full of idling UPS trucks with the doors closed!), mind boggling place to work and the expect a lot for a little pay.   :(

end rant.
Dave Brush