Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Ale Feedback  (Read 1790 times)

Offline foxbrew

• 1st Kit
Pale Ale Feedback
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:10:13 pm »
Just put together an extract recipe for an American Pale. I'm still a little green when it comes to making my own recipes, so I'd appreciate any feedback.  Looking for a clean, super drinkable pale (like Sierra Nevada). Thanks in advance.

11 gallons

16 lbs Pale LME
1 lb. Crystal 10L (steeping grains)
15 oz. Pilsner LME
15 oz. wheat LME

1.75 oz. horizon (60 min)
.5 oz. cascade (10 min)
.5 oz. centennial (10 min)
1 oz. cascade (flameout)
1 oz centennial (flameout)

Est. OG - 1.056
Est. FG - 1.014
60 min boil

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:27:56 pm by foxbrew »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pale Ale Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »
Judging by the amount of extract, this is a 10 gallon batch? If so, I would at minimum double you late additions. But I like hoppy.

I do like cascade and centennial together.

I don't think you really will gain much from the pilsner extract and you might want to consider using c20.

Also, I recommend moving into all-grain. 10 gallon extract batches are expensive. The savings from two batches can more than pay for a Dennybrew cooler style mash tun.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:22:36 pm »
any reason for the pils and wheat extracts? If not I'd skip them I'd think about skipping or seriously reducing the crystal malt as well. remember that pale LME already has some crystal in it most likely.

and +1 to bumping the hops alot if this is a 10 gallon batch or cutting the LME way down if this is a 5 gallon (and maybe still bumping the hops up some)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:30:09 am »
any reason for the pils and wheat extracts? If not I'd skip them I'd think about skipping or seriously reducing the crystal malt as well. remember that pale LME already has some crystal in it most likely.

and +1 to bumping the hops alot if this is a 10 gallon batch or cutting the LME way down if this is a 5 gallon (and maybe still bumping the hops up some)

+1.  I'd drop the pils and wheat lme (using only pale as your base), use 20L crystal instead of 10, and double (if not a bit more) your late hops.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 07:32:40 am »
My recommendation for an extract APA or IPA is to use either pilsner or Extra Light DME only for your base. They are the most fermentable extracts in my experience. You also may want to consider using about 10% table sugar to make sure the beer finishes as dry as you'd like. In my experience the biggest issue with extract Pale Ales is that they don't finish dry enough.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:06:41 am »
Good suggestions from other folks here. Remember that extract is most likely going to be less fermentable than an all grain brew due to the lack of free amino nitrogen and also the possible addition of crystal malt to the original mash (you really have no idea what is in those extracts.)

I'd get away from LME completely as it tends to not be as fresh as DME, or, to be more exact, suffers more from oxidation. And as others have said, subbing a small amount of sugar will help dry the beer out.

On top of everything you might be surprised how easy all grain brewing is, and if you are making 10 gallon batches you might already have the most expensive parts: The boil kettle and the chiller. Do a search fro "Denny Brew" to find Denny Conn's quick, cheap and easy batch sparge method. It's what I use and it makes great beer.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »
Great suggestions. 

I was wondering about the Horizon, having never used them.
What do they bring here, or are they just a clean bitter?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »
Low cohumulone (sp?) relative of nugget if I remember correctly. So yep, clean bittering.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:05:43 am »
Great suggestions. 

I was wondering about the Horizon, having never used them.
What do they bring here, or are they just a clean bitter?
Horizon is often mentioned with Warrior and magnum as a clean bittering hop. It is not grown to the extent of those others, though.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!