Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation temp. suggestions  (Read 2237 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Fermentation temp. suggestions
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »
Given the cooler temps here in Florida and the fact that I can control the fermentation temp very closely, what is recommended for the ale I am fermenting? The yeast is Wyeast 1335 and it's currently at 68 degrees.

*I noticed on Wyeast's website, the temp. range is listed at 63-75.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:07:42 pm by flbrewer »

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Fermentation temp. suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »
Is 68 your wort temp or the temperature of the space it's in. I ask because fermentation creates heat and may be 5 or more degrees warmer than the room/chamber. If that's room temp, your fermentation temp may actually be 72-75, which is the high end of 1335's range. 
I haven't used 1335 specifically, but I would guess that 65-68 is an ideal fermentation temp.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 06:26:14 pm »
68 is the temp of the water that is surrounding the glass carboy. I have the carboy sitting in a Coleman cube cooler filled with water (and ice as necessary). I/R gun checks on the side of the glass show the same temp, but I imagine the beer may be a degree or two higher.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:36:29 pm »
I wish the "cooler" temps here were 68!
Frank

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 06:37:28 pm »

68 is the temp of the water that is surrounding the glass carboy. I have the carboy sitting in a Coleman cube cooler filled with water (and ice as necessary). I/R gun checks on the side of the glass show the same temp, but I imagine the beer may be a degree or two higher.

Water is a better thermal conductor than air so I agree if water is covering most of the surface area of the fermenter it will pull heat off quickly and therefore stay close to the beer temp (0-2 degrees).

I have no proof of this though.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:45:31 pm »
Downright chilly!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:32 pm »
Downright chilly!

I've got in laws that live in Orlando - they complain about being cold when it's 65F.  You guys would NOT have cared for living in most of the country this week!  I think the wind chill was -41F here on Tuesday am.      :D
Jon H.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:53:02 pm »
One of my facebook friends posted a picture of people wearing winter coats, hats and gloves in 65 degree weather during the cold spell a few months ago.  I was laughing like crazy, of course its been -15 here and im still wearing shorts.... to each his own i guess.
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:25:26 pm »

Water is a better thermal conductor than air so I agree if water is covering most of the surface area of the fermenter it will pull heat off quickly and therefore stay close to the beer temp (0-2 degrees).
I agree too.
You could cool it down a little, though at this point I wouldn't bother. Yeast like stable temperatures. And temperature during the growth phase is most important. That is probably over now. At 68 it should be good.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:00 am »
Perfect temp for most ale yeasts!

Don't get too caught up with the inside/outside the fermenter temp differential as that ROT is not really accurate. Particularly with the immersion approach as you're practicing- there should be little to no difference in the surrounding water and the interior of the fermenter. I have zero variance in my chest freezer setups as well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis