General Category > Zymurgy

2010 M/A Geeks column - Malt Conditioning

(1/7) > >>

Kaiser:
Let me continue this with providing a place to discuss malt conditioning. I know we have discussed this many times. But maybe there are still some lingering questions about this.

Kai

tygo:
I thought the article was great Kai.  I liked that you provided a suggested ml/kg ratio for the water.  I agree though after doing this several times that you can tell by feel when you're around where you should be.

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: tygo on March 26, 2010, 07:48:57 AM ---I thought the article was great Kai.  I liked that you provided a suggested ml/kg ratio for the water.  I agree though after doing this several times that you can tell by feel when you're around where you should be.

--- End quote ---

That’s how I do it. I go by feel and the only time I really measured how much water I used was to give other brewers an idea how much to use.

I also have 2 sealed mason jars at home where one contains malt milled with conditioning and the other malt milled w/o conditioning. At some point I hope to evaluate how the added moisture affected the malt during extended storage. I don’t think that there is much of a concern since most malt has only about 4% moisture content and the conditioning raises this to about 6%. From what I heard, this should still be a safe moisture content for storage.

Kai

denny:
Kai, as someone who hates expending effort that might not be necessary, I've been trying to decide if conditioning is something I should undertake.  Of course, I should just try it and see for myself, but I'd like to know what specific benefits you've found from it.

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: denny on March 29, 2010, 11:22:58 AM ---..but I'd like to know what specific benefits you've found from it.

--- End quote ---

I noticed that I get a faster run-off than I was able to get before with my crush. Aside from that I haven’t had the time to do much experimentation to evaluate its effect on beer quality. At this point I have to go by my intuition which tells me that it most likely doesn’t hurt the beer quality. Only recently have I found data in brewing texts that show reduced tannin extraction when the malt is conditioned. But the effect must be small b/c there are many beers brewed w/o this technique that don’t show a problem with tannins.

Maybe others would be willing to conduct a side-by-side experiment to see if malt conditioning affects the flavor of the beer.

Kai

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version