Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Russian Imperial Stout  (Read 1823 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Russian Imperial Stout
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:56:27 am »
I posted elsewhere this morning that I really need to work on my Russian Imperial Stout.  It is one of my personal favorite styles.  So I would be very pleased to entertain your succesful recipe suggestions here.

I think I have tried too hard for complexity in the past, and am at this point convinced that simplicity produces a better beer...  but that is just theory right now.  It is just that the commercial examples that I love seem very clean and straight-forward.

Thanks
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:56 am »
I've got a recipe that's won me several medals, a BOS and runner up BOS in the past.  its on my list to rebrew this year.  will post from home later today.

it is not simple though  :-\
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:46 am »
I've got a recipe that's won me several medals, a BOS and runner up BOS in the past.  its on my list to rebrew this year.  will post from home later today.

it is not simple though  :-\

Looking forward to it.  I forgot to mention in the OP that I'm also interested in tips / brewing techniques that may help.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:42 am »
I brewed Saints Go Marching In RIS from Zymurgy. It was/is great and it's pretty simple. Loads of roasted barley, flaked barley, and base malt I think (maybe). I used 2 packs of rehydrated S-04 per 5/gallons so there was plenty of yeast without needing to fuss with an enormous starter (I made 10 gallons). It was nearly an entire bag of Marris Otter. Out of 20 kegs we brought to club night last year, it's the only one that kicked.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
I've seen some RIS recipes that have so many specialty grains in it at small amounts it looks like the author went into the LHBS and just said, "I'll take one of everything." I don't think that's a good recipe for anything other than a big beer that tastes "brown" or perhaps "black".

It is a bigger beer so it can handle more ingredients than a smaller beer but you can find a lot of complexity by mixing a few specialty malts in a suitable blend. You may want to strip down your recipe to the bare essentials and then tweak one thing at a time to get to your desired outcome.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:35:38 am »
I've seen some RIS recipes that have so many specialty grains in it at small amounts it looks like the author went into the LHBS and just said, "I'll take one of everything." I don't think that's a good recipe for anything other than a big beer that tastes "brown" or perhaps "black".

It is a bigger beer so it can handle more ingredients than a smaller beer but you can find a lot of complexity by mixing a few specialty malts in a suitable blend. You may want to strip down your recipe to the bare essentials and then tweak one thing at a time to get to your desired outcome.

Yes, this is what I was thinking. 

@ Jimmy:  Thanks, I'll look that up.
Steve
BJCP #D1667