Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend 1/4/2014?  (Read 5974 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend 1/4/2014?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 03:11:44 pm »
Brewed a saison on 1-1 and looking to do CP's Claude of Neptune II that was in last month's Zymurgy magazine.  I will be harvesting some 2206 from a mini-batch of bock from last month (my first BIAB attempt - 2.5 gallons) that is ready to rack to the mini-keg for extended lagering at 34F.  There is a little mini-mashing of corn (by boiling, IIRC), but it looks like a winner.  Hoping for some bock-like beers for March.

Gotta rack some other beers, too, and allow for some space in the fermenting chest to free up.  Then I am going to try an eisbock!

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

cornershot

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 03:19:38 pm »
Janet's brown. Except I drop the carapils and add munich. And I use different hops. And I mash lower. And I use different yeast.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »
Janet's brown. Except I drop the carapils and add munich. And I use different hops. And I mash lower. And I use different yeast.

sooo, Not Janet's Brown?

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 03:53:22 pm »
Made an Irish Red and a white wime before we left on the Christmas break so I'll be transfering/bottling all weekend :)
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »
Dark saison and maybe a ryeIPA if I get lucky.

Blatz..I guess you finalized that recipe?  What did you decide on the hops?

cornershot

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »

sooo, Not Janet's Brown?
Love Janet's brown. The recipe is great as is. But I've brewed it quite a few times and it has evolved according to my tastes and process. I prefer Amarillo over Cascade. I like wlp090 and happen to have a pitch ready but it requires a lower mash temperature than chico to attenuate properly. Carapils just isn't necessary. And a little munich makes almost everything better. Sooo, it's Janet's improved. I tried adding oats once. Not good.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »
Dark saison and maybe a ryeIPA if I get lucky.

Blatz..I guess you finalized that recipe?  What did you decide on the hops?

I'm going with it as shown in the first post - a good starting point I think
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »

sooo, Not Janet's Brown?
Love Janet's brown. The recipe is great as is. But I've brewed it quite a few times and it has evolved according to my tastes and process. I prefer Amarillo over Cascade. I like wlp090 and happen to have a pitch ready but it requires a lower mash temperature than chico to attenuate properly. Carapils just isn't necessary. And a little munich makes almost everything better. Sooo, it's Janet's improved. I tried adding oats once. Not good.

I totally understand. I was just messing with you. I think you could safely give it a new name though. If you were so inclined. Big Al's Brown doesn't sound very appetizing though huh?

Also I absolutely agree that a little munich makes almost anything better.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 04:57:52 pm »
Growing up a starter for a Munich Helles right now, and thinking about brewing it on Monday in -30 degree temps.   :o

One nice thing about 3-gallon batches is the smaller starters.  Looking forward to a great year of brewing. 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
I just got a sack of Avangard Pils and decided on a Bo Pils with a double decoction.
Dan Chisholm

cornershot

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »

sooo, Not Janet's Brown?

I totally understand. I was just messing with you. I think you could safely give it a new name though. If you were so inclined. Big Al's Brown doesn't sound very appetizing though huh?

Also I absolutely agree that a little munich makes almost anything better.
Well "(anybody)'s brown" doesn't sound so good when you put it that way. Why do us 'mericans just call it "brown" anyway? Where's the imagination?  'Merican brown ale needs a cool new name. Earth ale?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 10:57:20 pm »
No brewing for me for at least a couple of weeks, but I have some bottling in my future. Got an oatmeal stout up first. And as soon as my LHBS/hardware store gets more 187mL bottles in I have a strawberry mead, a cyser and some maple wine that needs to be bottled as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline apple

• Cellarman
  • Converting grains to good times, one mug at a time
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 07:30:11 am »
Doing my first all grain today. Getting set up for BIAB to do the Scottish 80/s from Northern Brewer. Also my first attempt at water corrections with my RO water supply.

Seems like a big step to me, wish me luck!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 07:39:04 am »

Doing my first all grain today. Getting set up for BIAB to do the Scottish 80/s from Northern Brewer. Also my first attempt at water corrections with my RO water supply.

Seems like a big step to me, wish me luck!

Have fun and good luck!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:09 am »
Today it's going to get up to 60 so I'm going to feed the hop plants some compost and set up the garden for next year. Tomorrow it's going to get cold so it will be a nice long lambic brew day. Good weather to cool beer outdoors.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing