Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Break in the Fermenter - Good, Bad, or Ugly?  (Read 4174 times)

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Cold Break in the Fermenter - Good, Bad, or Ugly?
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »
I've seen bits and pieces of information on this forum and in other sources concerning cold break in the fermenter, and it appears there are varying opinions on whether or not this is OK and if so, how much is OK.

To get a handle on controlling the temperatures with my new chiller set-up, I'll be recirculating with a filter (Hop Rocket) between the pump and chiller until I hit my pitching temp, meaning I'll trap most of the cold break material before I switch hoses and run the wort to the fermenter.

Question is; when I decide to remove the training wheels and run the wort through the chiller directly to the fermenter w/o recirculating, all of the cold break is going to end up in the fermenter, no?

I know some break material is good for the yeast, but are there any other concerns?
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Cold Break in the Fermenter - Good, Bad, or Ugly?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:41:37 pm »
Question is; when I decide to remove the training wheels and run the wort through the chiller directly to the fermenter w/o recirculating, all of the cold break is going to end up in the fermenter, no?

yes.  it will form en route as it chills.

I really, really don't think its a big deal.  I personally dump some of it out during high krausen (bottom dump of fermenter) but sometimes i forget or don't have time.

On my old system, most if not all the cold break was left in the fermentor (WIC) and i haven't noticed any difference in the beers on the old versus new system.

I've seen pros that run through a plate chiller directly into the fermentor so they are also forming CB in the fermentor, and their beers obviously sell.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 04:11:15 pm »
 I am in the not bad, possibly some good, but definitely ugly camp.

IMO, with my system it only bothers me when I want to harvest a nice clean yeast cake.

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 04:47:38 pm »
Let me add; I do not (as of yet) harvest my yeast so I'm not that worried about the yeast after fermentation - mostly concerned with flavor/haze/fermentation issues, if this helps.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:03 pm »
Let me add; I do not (as of yet) harvest my yeast so I'm not that worried about the yeast after fermentation - mostly concerned with flavor/haze/fermentation issues, if this helps.

I wouldn't worry at all in that case. it will all settle out and the yeast will use what it needs and leave the rest alone.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:42 am »
Sometimes I dump the trub out the bottom of my conical... Sometimes I don't.  I can't say I've really seen a difference in my beer either way.  Now yeast harvesting I have noticed a difference... as it's much easier to get pure yeast when you dump the trub ;-)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:48:00 am »
Cold break looks like more than it is. Make a one gallon batch and let it settle cold for several days. It will end up being a lot less at the bottom than you think. Also a good way to test out your brewhouse sanitation. If it grows funk in 12 hrs you have a problem

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:53:30 am »
I get break material in every batch I make.  I pre-can all my starter wort from a 5 gallon all grain 'batch'.  I get tons of break material in the jars... The starters seem happier for it... and I have not noticed any 'downside' except it looks gross ;-)
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:59:07 am »
I try to get the cleanest wort I can into the fermenter, but Jim is right- the break looks big and thick at first but settles into a thin layer. I've been able to tell no difference over the years between all the trub, some, or basically none getting into the fermenter in terms of the final product.
Jon H.