Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: barrel project questions  (Read 3649 times)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
barrel project questions
« on: December 15, 2013, 08:26:50 am »
Our group, the Milltown Mashers (Northfield,MN) are buying a couple of used 30 gallon barrels. (From Koval Distillery in Chicago.)

I have some specific questions that hopefully someone here can answer. This forum has always been a useful resource. If anyone has suggestions for other barrel-info resources that would be great too.

Our first fill in the charred http://www.koval-distillery.com/newsite/whiskey/rye barrel will be a RIS. Is it best to have the 6 batches going into the barrel to be the same recipe, or will some variety add to the final beer? Specifically, would it be advisable or not to use different yeast strains among the beers going in the barrel? Similar RIS appropriate strains, but not all the same.

Same question on the first fill of the second barrel. That will be a barleywine. That barrel had http://www.koval-distillery.com/newsite/whiskey/four-grain

Is it necessary to sulfite (stop the yeast) when you go into the barrel? Is some slight fermentation acceptable OR is that completely unsafe? I'm assuming there will still be an airlock.

Thanks for your help.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: barrel project questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:32:36 pm »
I would be hesitant to use lots of different recipes/yeasts and then blend them all blindly. I think yo umight end up with a very muddy flavour.

Ther eis no need to stop the fermentation, it should be more or less done when it goes in and then air lock it and let it go.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:25:46 pm »
I think the biggest concern is that all of the beer going in is quality. You could try blending samples before adding to the barrell, but identical recipes would be best.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:15:57 pm »
Some friends and I have a couple barrel projects fermenting. This first is a blend of two RIS, both fermented with US-05. The second is a barleywine filled with multiple batches using the same recipe and yeast. 

I think if your considering blending batches made from "RIS appropriate strains" I wouldn't worry about it IF you like the sample blend.  I wouldn't make 30 gallon blend of anything i had not test tasted. Same would hold true for barleywine in my book. 

Put an airlock in the bunghole.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
Here is a LOT of good info hope you can find something of use.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16135.0

1. Different yeast strains will add different flavors. (b.) Different yeast strains have
different fermentation parameters. That said IMO the same yeast would be a consistent
ending....Tho realize that my solera has 4-6 different organisms at least and it is amazing good.

2. DO NOT sulfite anything just keep the bubbler onboard to relieve pressure buildup.
  (b.) When activity stops, you can bung the barrel.  Ullage will then happen and you
will give the angels their share leaving room for topping off and expansion/contraction.

3. Tip, I got some bees wax and took a propane solder torch and drizzled hot wax drippings
down into and onto the obviously larger more porous external seams of my cask.  particurlarly'
the end boards. 
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:30:28 pm »
Here is a LOT of good info hope you can find something of use.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16135.0

1. Different yeast strains will add different flavors. (b.) Different yeast strains have
different fermentation parameters. That said IMO the same yeast would be a consistent
ending....Tho realize that my solera has 4-6 different organisms at least and it is amazing good.

2. DO NOT sulfite anything just keep the bubbler onboard to relieve pressure buildup.
  (b.) When activity stops, you can bung the barrel.  Ullage will then happen and you
will give the angels their share leaving room for topping off and expansion/contraction.

3. Tip, I got some bees wax and took a propane solder torch and drizzled hot wax drippings
down into and onto the obviously larger more porous external seams of my cask.  particurlarly'
the end boards.

+1 not as big a deal with big barrels but with my small one I covered everything but the ends with beeswax to keep o2 diffusion to a level comprable to a full size barrel
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 08:52:17 pm »
If you dont want to melt it on you could probably probably melt a bunch on the stove in a double boiler and paint it on with a paintbrush.

Are you going to use it as a solera or just batch by batch
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 09:08:56 pm »
If you dont want to melt it on you could probably probably melt a bunch on the stove in a double boiler and paint it on with a paintbrush.

Are you going to use it as a solera or just batch by batch

this is actually what I did.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 03:53:56 pm »
thanks. all good info!