Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Horrible siphoning  (Read 4641 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Horrible siphoning
« on: January 04, 2014, 02:25:32 pm »
So I just siphoned my first all grain batch with my auto siphon. I don't know what I was doing wrong but it just didn't work as I had planned. Should have been a simple task but I think the hose was to long so I cut it shorter. When that happened the beer was splashing in the bucket. Nothing to crazy but I am worried I might have ruined my beer. Looking here for anyone who could hopefully tell me I didn't ruin it, don't sugar coat it just give me the truth.

The beer like I said was splashing but not uncontrollably, it just created a lot of bubbles on the surface of my secondary fermenter.

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
Re: Horrible siphoning
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:11 pm »
If you were siphoning into a secondary and introduced some air I wouldn't worry too much :)

It's of course a good thing to minimize air into your beer, but I think the core flavor of your beer will remain, with minimal (if any) off flavors.

Cheers!
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »
Thanks for giving me hope. It just hasn't been a good morning, right after all this happened I broke my hydrometer.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:40:42 pm »
So I just siphoned my first all grain batch with my auto siphon. I don't know what I was doing wrong but it just didn't work as I had planned. Should have been a simple task but I think the hose was to long so I cut it shorter. When that happened the beer was splashing in the bucket. Nothing to crazy but I am worried I might have ruined my beer. Looking here for anyone who could hopefully tell me I didn't ruin it, don't sugar coat it just give me the truth.

The beer like I said was splashing but not uncontrollably, it just created a lot of bubbles on the surface of my secondary fermenter.

Were you siphoning from the boil kettle to the primary fermentation bucket or from the bucket to a secondary or keg post fermentation?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:45:44 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:48:54 pm »
I was siphoning from the primary to the secondary

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »
I don't care for auto siphon and now just use a length of tubing. I start it with a sanitized turkey baster.

What are you secondary fermenting on, fruit?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 03:05:58 pm »
Maybe your hose was too short. I've made that mistake before.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 03:10:13 pm »
:D

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:48 pm »

That's what she said
Frank

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 07:21:56 pm »
I don't care for auto siphon and now just use a length of tubing. I start it with a sanitized turkey baster.

Hey, I have a friend named Turkey Baster.  He rides a motorcycle so he doesn't use an auto syphon either. (He was named after his dad)

Back on the syphoning path, again?!  :o
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 08:16:51 pm »
How the crap do you use a turkey baster to siphon? Someone please explain

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 08:20:15 pm »

I quite like the auto-siphon.  Been using them for years because they are so convenient.

One trick is (as you found out) is to pay attention to the hose length.  Ideally it should be around a foot longer than the distance between the bend of the cane at full extension to the base of the destination bucket/keg/fermenter.  This will keep the hose in contact with the bottom of the vessel but not leave too much extra to wrap around the inside.

Since the difference in elevation between the two vessels is something you choose, it's easy to vary the available hose length using your existing hose just by raising or lowering a vessel until you're pleased with the result.

Your beer is likely fine, especially if it's a style that'll be consumed rather quickly.  Like the hydrometer, consider it another educational experience.  I've broken plenty of those.

Most importantly, congrats on your first AG batch!
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 08:24:14 pm »

That's what she said

Good call !      ;)
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 08:25:19 pm »

+1.  That's what I do too now.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 04:40:23 am »
How the crap do you use a turkey baster to siphon? Someone please explain

Sanitize tubing and turkey baster. Place tube in beer. Sqeeze baster, shove into end of tubing, relax the squeeze. When beer flows put in keg.

The baster just replaces what your mouth would do if you suck stated it.