Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Added WAY to munch Munich  (Read 3242 times)

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Added WAY to munch Munich
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:08:30 pm »
Happy New Year everyone!

Well in getting things together for my first brew session of the year, made a bit of an error. I was planning on doing the Yellow Diamond Belgian Pale I got from the AHA website but had a mix up. While getting the grains together for the second batch  I am brewing tomorrow (Denny's VIP), I accidentally dumped the Munich into the bucket for the YDBP. Basically, doubling the amount of Munich and shooting the gravity from 1.050 to 1.061. Since I can't separate the grains, I decided to roll with it. I increased the IBU's a bit to help with balance. Anything else I should be thinking about?

Here is the recipe as it stands after the mistake...

3.75 gallon batch

1.54k Munich
1.08k Bel Pale Malt
.32k Aromatic Malt
.20k Medium Crystal
.44k Brown Sugar
13g Norther Brewer (60 min, 10.6%, 25.5 IBU)
10g Saaz (60 min, 4.8%, 8.9 IBU)
14g Saaz (15 min, 4.8%, 3.3 IBU)

Est OG 1.063
Mash Temp 154 (90 min)
Est FG 1.011

Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast Labs #3522)

Can't really take anything out at this point (except the sugar or hops), but I can add. Thanks for the help!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Added WAY to munch Munich
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:56 pm »
You can NEVER have too much Munich in a recipe.

Other than that, Looks good!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:57:17 am »
It looks good as is. It's going to be malty for sure. You could dry hop it I suppose to give hop impression a boost
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:01:30 am »
It looks good as is. It's going to be malty for sure. You could dry hop it I suppose to give hop impression a boost

+1.  That was my thinking as well.  It will be pretty malt forward, but delicious. A couple oz of dry hops might balance things pretty well.
Jon H.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:23:56 am »
I gotta go with garc_mall on this one. There is no such thing as too much munich. You may not have made the beer you thought you were making, you made a better one.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:48 am »
You can NEVER have too much Munich in a recipe.

I gotta go with garc_mall on this one. There is no such thing as too much munich. You may not have made the beer you thought you were making, you made a better one.

+1
And depending on the mash temps and the yeast used, it may not even turn out overly malty in the end.
The recipe looks pretty darned good to me!  I'll agree with gymrat that you are probably making a better beer than you orignally planned.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:19 am »
Hey,no arguments - Munich is one of my favorite malts by far.  Just depends on how much malt /hop balance you look for in a pale ale. But as said, mash temp comes into play. It'll be a good beer.
Jon H.

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:29:20 am »
Thanks guys!! I love Munich too so I was overly concerned. At least it wasn't crystal or roast malts. This one was suppose to be the gf, hopefully she will like it. Taking everyone's advice and going to add about 1.5 oz Saaz as a dry hop.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:18:50 pm »
While I love Munich malt as much as the next Dunkel brewer I don't agree you can't add too much to any style. Obviously sometimes you want rich malt character, sometimes you don't. I don't think your beer is ruined by any stretch of imagination but I don't automatically think it is going to be better, since that wasn't what you were going for.  Perhaps a happy mistake, but perhaps you would have preferred it with pilsner malt.

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »
Thanks Major. Like I said, didn't mean to add the extra Munich it was for another batch and I dumped into the wrong bucket. Figured I was stuck with it so might as well make the best.  :0) If anything it will be interesting.

cornershot

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 01:18:45 pm »
Thanks guys!! I love Munich too so I was overly concerned. At least it wasn't crystal or roast malts. This one was suppose to be the gf, hopefully she will like it. Taking everyone's advice and going to add about 1.5 oz Saaz as a dry hop.
Good replies above. But don't dry hop with saaz! It's weird. Not what you'd expect. If you've never dry hopped with saaz before try it on a small scale before committing to the whole batch.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:22:20 pm »

Good replies above. But don't dry hop with saaz! It's weird. Not what you'd expect. If you've never dry hopped with saaz before try it on a small scale before committing to the whole batch.

I haven't before.. Any other suggestions?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 02:07:46 pm »

I haven't before.. Any other suggestions?

Tettnanger, Ultra, Mt Hood are all good choices.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer