Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1 gallon extract batches  (Read 8379 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
1 gallon extract batches
« on: January 05, 2014, 09:05:50 am »
I was told that you can get in the ballpark on 5 gallon recipes (and all grain after calculation) by simply dividing by 5. How true is this? How big is the ballpark? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: 1 gallon extract batches
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:28 am »
Pretty close but you boil off volume is going to be the same regardless of how big your batch size is. Hop utilization will be a bit better because you're going to have a smaller average extract concentration but probably not enough to make a difference in most recipes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:44:47 am »
Can you elaborate on the boil off volume comment?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:57:17 pm »
If you normally lose a gallon an hour with a 5 gallon batch, you will lose a gallon an hour for a 1 gallon batch on the same system. Ingredients can be cut by 1/5, but your boil volume should be (target final volume + boiloff) and not 1/5 of a 5 gallon batch's boil volume.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:46:45 pm »
So 2 gallons?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 06:05:51 pm »
I depends on a number of things I think. How aggressive you boil, humidity, kettle shape and surface area...

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:17:41 pm »

So 2 gallons?

You can start with 2 gallons and adjust from there. Keep some pre-boiled water on hand incase your boil off is greater than expected.

If boiling indoors, kettle shape and how vigorous a boil will be the main factors.

Also, if you are fermenting in 1 gallon jugs, you will want less than 1 gallon when finished.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 06:20:39 pm »
For smaller batches (1 and 5 gallon) how much will too much or too little water make a difference on the final product? In extract batches (my case) I normally will add top off if it is low.
Is the point to ensure the least amount of top off water necessary, therefore boiling the majority of the volume?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:28:48 pm »
The main reason to avoid topping off is hop utilization. Hop utilization is lower in higher gravity wort.

I top off my 10 gallon batches because my keggle is only about 12.5 gallons (50 liter European keg) and I want my pre-boil to be about 13.2-13.5 gallons. I normally add 1.5, but sometimes 2 gallons.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:05:02 pm »
The main reason to avoid topping off is hop utilization. Hop utilization is lower in higher gravity wort.

+1.  Full wort boil any time possible.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:14:15 pm »

I top off my 10 gallon batches because my keggle is only about 12.5 gallons (50 liter European keg) and I want my pre-boil to be about 13.2-13.5 gallons. I normally add 1.5, but sometimes 2 gallons.

So you boil MORE than your end volume (mind blown) ?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:35:55 pm »

My preboil is 11.7 gallons. After 90 minutes I have 10 gallons in the kettle. I add 1.5 gallons of preboiled water to the kettle at flameout (I boil while mashing and leave to the side with the lid on). I transfer to two fermenters, roughly 5.5 gallons each, leaving .5 gallon in the keg.

Ideally, my keggle would be large enough for a 13.2 gallon preboil. I lust for a 20 gallon blichmann kettle, but any decent quality kettle would do.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »
I boil ~48 liters for a 40 liter batch of strong beer. In a 50 liter kettle it can get exciting at times
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 08:42:01 pm »

Correct. That may be something new to you if you're used to topping off, but it's standard practice when you're doing full-volume boils. Depending on your kettle size/shape and how strong your boil is, plan on boiling off about 1/2 to one gallon in an hour.

And you can always top off if you overshoot and end up with less volume than you're targeting.
Eric B.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 08:48:12 pm »
I boil ~48 liters for a 40 liter batch of strong beer. In a 50 liter kettle it can get exciting at times

I hear ya. I start with just under 4.5 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle. And I need to leave the lid on to be able to reach a rolling boil at that volume. Thank goodness for Fermcap.
Eric B.