Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Natural Gas Burner Cost  (Read 10590 times)

Offline msyverson3

• 1st Kit
Re: Natural Gas Burner Cost
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 10:31:49 am »
About propane bottle exchanges:  Blue Rhino is a rip off.  You only get a 3/4 filled tank for nearly double what the price should be.  I have 4 20 lb tanks and take them to a local U-Haul station where you only pay for the filled gas amount.  Therefore I don't need to wait for the tank to be completely empty.  A completely empty bottle in the North Pittsburgh suburbs costs about $13 to fill.

Offline FlipMasterFlash

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:06 am »
I converted from LP to NG 3 years ago for my three burner Brutus 10 brewstand using a bbq grill quick disconnect. Even though I don't have the BTUs of LP, it is really reassuring that I never have to worry about running out of gas during my brew day.

This!  The time and money I spent running over to the propane place to get my tank filled is not something I miss since I went NG. 

Best uprgrade evah!
I'd agree that a biggest part of why I like running off NG is not having to run and get propane tanks filled all the time.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:31 am »
About propane bottle exchanges:  Blue Rhino is a rip off.  You only get a 3/4 filled tank for nearly double what the price should be.  I have 4 20 lb tanks and take them to a local U-Haul station where you only pay for the filled gas amount.  Therefore I don't need to wait for the tank to be completely empty.  A completely empty bottle in the North Pittsburgh suburbs costs about $13 to fill.

Where I live the savings is negligible. 15 minute drive for 20% more, or 2 minute drive to the local Home Depot with self-serve kiosk exchange. Fills run me about $17 and exchanges are $16. $0.94/lb compared to $1.07/lb. Factor in the gas and it's a wash at best. I keep two tanks and run one dry before swapping.

I would fill in the past. I town I lived in had a hardware store with $10-11 dollar fills while exchanges were $20.

Also, they don't fill the 20lb tanks to capacity, they leave space for expansion of the gas. I think they stop around 4.5 gallons which would be 18lbs.