Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Oak 5 gal. Cask for Christmas  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Gordonwerks

• 1st Kit
  • Yeasty Boys to the Rescue!
White Oak 5 gal. Cask for Christmas
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:35:11 am »
So, my kids gave me a White Oak 5 gal. Cask for Christmas. Instructions said to fill with hot water and wait for the leaks to seal. This I have done over the last two days. No leaks. However, the water level continues to lower. Is it soaking up the water? Is that good? I will be making a bourbon stout (Dragons Milk) soon and want to condition the beer in the cask after fermentation. What would my next step be to prepare the cask?
Pappy

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
Re: White Oak 5 gal. Cask for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:37 pm »
Assuming its not leaking(since the water is lowering) id condition the oak with bourbon.  probably put a litre in and let it soak for a few outs and slowly rotate it for equal exposure into the wood.  Id also have some wax on hand for the inevitable leak.

Putting bourbon int he barrel will also help sanitize it i believe
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: White Oak 5 gal. Cask for Christmas
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:55:43 pm »
It's it new oak? Is it toasted/charred?

If it's new and you are after a bourbon barrel aged flavor than condition it with bourbon. I am not familiar with new oak but I imagine it erik lends a lot of flavor quickly as it hasn't had booze in out yet to leach out a bunch of the oak.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce