Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pump advice  (Read 1735 times)

Offline twopumpsandimsorry

• Cellarman
Pump advice
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:26:04 am »
santa gave me a ton of gift cards to my homebrew shop. Thinking of getting a pump. Any suggestions as to if i should go with a chugger or marsh? Also wondering how well pumps handle hop gunk. Any input would be just super. Thanks
"We are here to drink beer.... and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
Charles Bukowski

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
Re: Pump advice
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:52 am »
Just tried my pump for the first time yesterday - handled all kinds of boiling gunk with nary a problem. It's a Chugger and has a stainless steel head so there's no worries about hot stuff affecting it.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:42:16 am »
I have a chugger. Works great.
Trey W.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:16:37 pm »
I also have a chugger with a stainless head. It works really well. Plus, it is cheaper than a March pump.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:36:51 pm »
I have 2 March pumps and love them.  IIRC March pumps have a higher rate of flow then chugger pumps, but chuggers come with a SS head and their customer service is amazing if you have a problem.  Pick the one thats feels right.

Personally id go with center inlet over inline but yet again, pick what feels right:)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:56:02 am by Jeff M »
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline philm63

• Assistant Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:23:23 pm »
...Personally id go with center inlet over inline but yet again, pick what feels right:)

Having just started using a pump and still not knowing that much about them; can you tell me what the major differences would be with a center inlet? I looked at those but couldn't argue with the price of the Chugger at the time.
AHA Member

On Tap: APA - 1st brew on the new system!
On Deck: Kolsch, IPA