Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is -20 too cold to brew?  (Read 6205 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Is -20 too cold to brew?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »
I'd rather brew in 20° weather than 100°, but that's just me.

We should reach a consensus on the best temp to brew in.  I vote for 50° 40% humidity wind about 3 mph

+1 for 20 over 100.......except that it is 40 degrees colder than 20 right now lol. So, yes.... it is too cold.

I vote for 73 degree brew day....It's rarely 40% humidity in Ohio unless it's 20 degrees out lol.... So, 73 degrees with 65% humidity win a nice 5 mph breeze blowing in from the northwest.  8)
Frank

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:57:12 pm »
Well I hate to say it but you guys are a bunch of sissies!  I had the day off here due to the cold.  It was -24 actual temp with a windchill of -50.  So what did I do?  I manned up!  That's right - grabbed the fleece-lined long johns and fired up the brew kettle.  I did a Munich Helles, and decided to call it "Helles Frozen Over". 

Really, it went fine.  I brought the kettle inside to chill using the laundry sink because I knew it would be a debacle outside.  Everything went great.  I partially chilled with my immersion chiller, and now it's on the front porch in a bucket getting down the rest of the way. 

Cheers. 

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 07:59:30 pm »
Well I hate to say it but you guys are a bunch of sissies!  I had the day off here due to the cold.  It was -24 actual temp with a windchill of -50.  So what did I do?  I manned up!  That's right - grabbed the fleece-lined long johns and fired up the brew kettle.  I did a Munich Helles, and decided to call it "Helles Frozen Over". 

Really, it went fine.  I brought the kettle inside to chill using the laundry sink because I knew it would be a debacle outside.  Everything went great.  I partially chilled with my immersion chiller, and now it's on the front porch in a bucket getting down the rest of the way. 

Cheers.

I don't think this makes you a man..... just bat-poop crazy!

But love the name!

Brew on!
Frank

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:52 pm »
My brew schedule doesn't wait for the weather to be nice. Although, once, when the wind was blowing 50-60mph, and gusting higher, I did put it off for a day...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:35:05 pm »
I've brewed outdoors in snow and ice storms and in cold temps down to 15 degrees. But I don't think I have even ever been in 20 below temp let alone brew in it. I think I'd be inside in front of the fire place with a strong beer or a fine whiskey and a good book.

It's only -9, but the kids are asleep and this is where I'm heading. Couch, book, drink, dreams of when we put in a fireplace.

It's not worth going outside in this weather for much of anything.  I've got enough brew in the basement to tide me over to spring.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:11 pm »
Well to be honest I was in the garage, and only for short bursts.  It's not like I stood by the kettle for the full 90 min.  And I did the mash inside.  School's called off again tomorrow, but I think I'll stay inside this time and watch the airlock bubble.   ;)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:56 pm »
  It was -24 actual temp with a windchill of -50.  So what did I do?  I manned up!  That's right - grabbed the fleece-lined long johns and fired up the brew kettle.

Hells yes señor Capitan!!  wow, nice work. 
You Minnisootan school teachers really have to brew when you can!!

Cheers.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 10:17:17 pm »
It's predicted to get all the way down to 56F down here at sea level tonight!  A TROPICS VORTEX!!! 
Oh the humanity!!

(Where did I store my hoodie last Spring?)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 04:57:19 am »
I've brewed outdoors with the temps. in the 30's.
On occasion if it's cold and windy I'll put the burner in the garage with door cracked a couple of feet. I have also done the mash in the kitchen and the boil outdoors.
My daughter gave me three new three gallon kegs for Christmas so I will probably do a few smaller batches in the kitchen this winter.
Also here in Jersey it usually doesn't stay really cold for that long a time, for example today's high is supposed to be 24 but Saturday it calls for a high of 53. So no need to freeze my ass off today when I can wait a few days and enjoy my brew day.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 05:21:02 am »
Thanks guys!  It wasn't fun to be the guy in the "I've fallen and I can't get up" ad but nothing was broken and the bruises are healing.

As to the best temp to brew?  I really like 25 - 45F range.  A sweatshirt, ball cap and work gloves are more than enough to be comfortable and ground water temps are perfect for chilling.  The low humidity is usually my biggest worry.  Kettle evaporation is really high this time of year and it can be difficult adjust volumes for it. 

The majority of my process is indoors in my basement workshop (walkout to a patio) so I can sit inside and look out at the burner.  I use a remote thermometer (repurposed from my smoker) to monitor water temps for mashing and sparging.  I am outside for less than 15 minutes for most brewing sessions.  That's what makes the fall so funny to me, I was just going out to move the kettle to a furniture dolly for the move inside to chill.  Two minutes tops.  ::)

It takes way too much propane to heat water when it's below 0 outside.   

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 05:54:42 am »
Thanks guys!  It wasn't fun to be the guy in the "I've fallen and I can't get up" ad but nothing was broken and the bruises are healing.

As to the best temp to brew?  I really like 25 - 45F range.  A sweatshirt, ball cap and work gloves are more than enough to be comfortable and ground water temps are perfect for chilling.  The low humidity is usually my biggest worry.  Kettle evaporation is really high this time of year and it can be difficult adjust volumes for it. 

The majority of my process is indoors in my basement workshop (walkout to a patio) so I can sit inside and look out at the burner.  I use a remote thermometer (repurposed from my smoker) to monitor water temps for mashing and sparging.  I am outside for less than 15 minutes for most brewing sessions.  That's what makes the fall so funny to me, I was just going out to move the kettle to a furniture dolly for the move inside to chill.  Two minutes tops.  ::)

It takes way too much propane to heat water when it's below 0 outside.   

Paul

Bucket heaters save some propane for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 07:08:41 am »
I brewed in 6F weather once a few years ago in a garage. I brew inside now on the stove, 4 gallon batches...so it's much nicer and it heats up the house in the winter.
Also brewed in 11F weather on a friend's deck recently. That was fun. But we mostly just watched the kettle from inside and drank beer.
I ride my bike year round, so brewing isn't too bad. I biked today to work and it was only -6F with no wind. Wind makes all the difference in the world. Didn't bike yesterday when it was -19 in the morning with 15mph winds out of the WNW. No thank you.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:51 am »
I biked today to work and it was only -6F with no wind.

Holy s#$% ! 
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 07:19:45 am »

Holy s#$% ! 
No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!
Jesse

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:17 am »

Holy s#$% ! 
No such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!

+1
Long sleeves and long pants suck.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907